Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Hoodish Easy Bake Oven For Removing Cosmo

NOt sure if to many people have even seen this, because I never saw a single reference to it -
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...thod/index.asp

Seems like an excellent idea, and an answer to a lot of prayers. I'd like to make one of these, and in theory make the toughest part of C&R collecting the easiest, but I'm more interested in your thoughts before I even consider it.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Hoodish Easy Bake Oven For Removing Cosmo

I used "The Dishwasher Method" on an Ishapore 2A, my first milsurp rifle, a couple weeks ago:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...thod/index.asp

I got the 2A from AIM, it was a terrible mess of cosmoline and grime. I took the whole thing down to nuts and bolts. Put everything in the dishwasher. Ran it on pots and pans. Let it go through the whole cycle, including drying.

Removed the black paint with oven cleaner. Restained the wood with BLO.

Took me less than 48 hours to have a gun as clean ones I've seen posted that took weeks and months. The metal is down to whatever lies under that lousy black paint. I might Duracoat it later.

It may not be for everybody, but I won't hesitate to do it again.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Hoodish Easy Bake Oven For Removing Cosmo

I made one out of the outer tin shell of a hot water heater that blew. I put 4 bulbs wired in series on a 2x4 inside and a rack on bottom. I can fit a Turk Mauser stock inside and still put the lid on. Be careful putting a cosmo soaked stock in the dishwasher. When Cosmoline cools it hardens up again. Could make for a plumbing nightmare!
    Last edited by nijwnfi; March 13th, 2007 at 07:25 PM.

Talking Re: Hoodish Easy Bake Oven For Removing Cosmo

I have used the dishwasher a couple of times on old Garand stocks. It works very well & will raise some of the dents in the wood!! Just make sure the wife is not around!
    "343" Never Forgotten