Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: does it matter?

(Columbia County)

Default does it matter?

would a dirty barrel affect accuracy enough to turn a 1 hole 3shot group into a 1.5" group another good one my scope bottomed out 4.5" high at 100 yards with a BC of .489 and 3360 how far would be zeroed out for it?
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Snyder County)

Default Re: dose it matter?

That is one long and hard to understand sentence.

some people say that .22 should only be cleaned if it starts to jam up, and then only the breach area as the lead lubricates the barrel, mind you i dont practice this, but i have met many who do and live by it.

Personally I was brought up that a clean gun is a good gun. but as I was once a machinist, I can tell you that anything mechanical will have some memory of its usage. IE: if you change your oil in your car every 3000 miles, dont miss an oil change, if you chage when ever you feel like it, dont clean the engine.

Guns are very much the same, if you never clean the breech, and expect the wax and lead to do the lubrication, then dont clean too much, removing this will make the gun sloppy and lose. If you clean regularly, then dont alow the buildup, it will weare the steel and allow wax and lead in places that when later cleaned will make the gun all lose.

Perhaps the better way, is clean the breech area, but leave the barrel aera as is. If you shoot on a regular basis, the powder will do little damage as it is constantly being shot out and replaced.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

From what I've been reading a good portion of good accurate shooters dont clean their barrels in their bolt guns until they start to see accuracy decrease. Theres also some that clean them every 5th shot. Its up to you to maintain accuracy you have to do everything the same all the time. If your gonna clean every 5th shot great if your not gonna clean till accuracy degrades great just remember to do it the same every time. Some people who will clean and then artificially foul their barrel to make sure that their zero is the same every time. They say that a clean barrel will shoot differently than the zero you made when your bore was dirty.

I've heard this analogy used for cleaning bolt guns. "Cleaning your rifle before its dirty is like wiping your ass before you crap."
    Last edited by Kenshin; November 27th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Montgomery County)

Personally, I clean my firearms after every trip to the range. There's no reason to clean after every couple shots, just go to the range, shoot, and then come home and clean them.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Personally, I clean my firearms after every trip to the range. There's no reason to clean after every couple shots, just go to the range, shoot, and then come home and clean them.
    Me too...a clean gun is a happy gun. Oh I mean firearm.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: does it matter?

Cleaning instructions that come with a new CZ rifle or pistol say basically this;
    After firing a few shots, run a dry patch through the bore. After heavy use or if you notice a decline in accuracy, do a thorough cleaning.
    I don't have the time to find and retype the exact wording now. If someone can correct me or support me, that's great, otherwise I'll try to get back to this tomorrow morning and be more specific.