Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default How much gunpowder can I own?

I remember reading somewhere that a person can only have a certain amount of powder without a special license of some kind. I'm not going to disclose how much I have, but what is the magic number?

(Centre County)

Default Re: How much gunpowder can I own?

I've never heard that. I know a reloader that does numerous different calibers and works up loads. He probably has 30-35 different powders and at least 2 lbs of each. He has never had any problems with anyone.

Alos, how would anyone know unless you told them.

I just went on to MidwayUSA and put 5, 8 lb kegs of powder in my cart and no warnings came up in the checkout area (I deleted them then as I don't need that much Solo1250 ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

AFAIK there is no limit in PA on the amount of smokeless powder you may possess. But IIRC there is a Federal limit of 50 lbs. on blackpowder.

New York State has had limits on and storage requirements for smokeless powders that over the past couple or three years has made things miserable for reloading supply dealers. But this isn't NYS and I'll hunt down anyone that tries to make it so!

Here's a possible reference that might lead to the Federal Regs.
    "b) Black powder. Except for the provisions applicable to persons required to be licensed under subpart D, this part does not apply with respect to commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed 50 pounds, percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers, if the black powder is intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms, as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a)(1 6) or antique devices, as exempted from the term "destructive devices" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4)."
    Last edited by Brick; March 14th, 2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fed. stuff

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

for residences anything over 20 lbs they want you to have a wooden box with 1 inch thick walls. you can have up to 50 lbs in that box,

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    for residences anything over 20 lbs they want you to have a wooden box with 1 inch thick walls. you can have up to 50 lbs in that box,
    haha why? If I put 50 pounds of powder in a wooden box with 1 inch walls it would make a massive mess if it goes off...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    haha why? If I put 50 pounds of powder in a wooden box with 1 inch walls it would make a massive mess if it goes off...
    1 inch thick walls will give the powder time to burn before it ever makes it through. if you put powder in a metal sealed container it will build pressure and blow. if its wood it will not blow up it will just burn off. you dont want it to build pressure.

(Bucks County)

Well if 1 revolver and 30 rounds is an arsenal, then I would think 2 oz. would be an ammo factory

(Monroe County)

Over 9,000!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Since I shoot black powder, that regulation interests me. I had never done the research before since I generally only keep 5-10 pounds on hand at a time, but I had heard of it before. Does that mean you would have to keep the powder in some other type of container inside wooden box? I could never understand why in the hell you would have to put 20 1 pound cans in a wooden box. This makes a little more sense, at least...Except for the part about keeping the powder dry, although I guess that could be accomplished by putting the powder in Ziploc bags. Any thoughts?

(Chester County)

I dont know if you are asking because of fire concerns or quantity concerns.
    I was talking to a fireman online from the cmp forums and he said the safest place for ammo storage is in the basement on exterior walls (in a corner) no higher then 2 feet high/off the ground. That is the coolest place in the house when a fire breaks out. He said if possible keep them (ammo cans) a few inches a part. Try not to cluster the cans.

My opinion is at least get them to the coolest spot if they are clustered/stacked it is better then the hottest place a fire breaks out.

I would imagine(MY OPINION PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT) this is the same principle for gun powder in kegs. From his info I would imagine smokeless powder in the basement (in the coolest part) in a metal cabinet or wood or loose WITH SOME KIND OF VENT TO PREVENT PRESSURE would be the safest place to store smokeless powder. When I think of this I think of an old school locker that has the vents for air flow.

THIS IS SECOND HAND KNOWLEDGE PLEASE CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU ACT/CONTACT YOUR LOCAL FIRE STATION FOR REGULATIONS AND SAFETY INFO
    Last edited by Lougotzz; March 14th, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast