Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Taser device can shock 3 people without reload

New Taser device can shock 3 people without reload

By AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Jul 27, 7:38 pm ET

FOUNTAIN HILLS, Arizona – A Taser stun gun, capable of shocking three people without being reloaded, was unveiled Monday in front of hundreds of law enforcement officers who applauded after watching six rounds of the barbed wire fired at metal targets.

The demonstration at the Scottsdale-based company's annual conference was performed by Taser International Chairman Tom Smith, and his brother, CEO Rick Smith, who says the device will become the new standard for police officers who want greater tactical abilities.

The device is the first new stun gun Taser International has introduced since 2003.

Older Taser stun guns, in use by 14,200 law enforcement agencies throughout the United States, have to be reloaded after one shot, which can be a problem for an officer who has missed a target or has more than one suspect to subdue.

"This is as big a step as when firearms went from a muzzle loader to the revolver," Rick Smith said later. "If I was a cop I'd want to carry one."

The new stun gun costs $1,799, compared with $799 for the older model, though Smith said law enforcement agencies could trade in their older ones for credits worth $300-$800.

He said the devices are in line with the costs of other law enforcement tools, and that Taser hopes law enforcement agencies can tap federal stimulus funds.

He said the device will be available to law enforcement agencies in late August. Officers at the conference will receive free ones provided they pass an operating test.

Like the older models, the new stun gun shoots two barbed wires that deliver about 6 watts of electrical current for several seconds, temporarily immobilizing people from a distance. Only the new device has three sets of wires.

The device, which can hit people up to 35 feet away, looks like a bulky gun but weighs less than two pounds. It's about 2.5 inches wide and seven inches tall.

While the new Taser stun gun can be used against three people, it also can target the same person more than once. Smith said each barb would deliver a separate shock.

The device also will allow for greater accountability because it has sensors that measure each discharge, Smith said, and that data can then be downloaded and analyzed.

Human rights groups contend Tasers cause heart attacks. Taser spokesman Steve Tuttle said the company has won 96 of 97 wrongful-death and product liability lawsuits filed against it and is appealing after being found 15 percent responsible in the one suit it lost.

Amnesty International says 351 people in the U.S. died after they were shocked with Tasers, and that in 50 of those cases, medical examiners cited a link between Taser shocks and death.

Curt Goering, deputy executive director of Amnesty International USA, said while he hasn't been able to fully examine the new mode Taser, it raises concerns.

"The new models will likely fuel the controversy about the potential lethality or abuse because there's potential for repeat Tasings," he said.

He said his organization generally supports the development of non-lethal force for police agencies but that officers are using Tasers far too often. "The threshold for use of force is often lower, so police are using these weapons in situations where the operation of a firearm would never be justified," he said.

Smith said Tasers are saving the lives of suspects across the country and saving police departments money that would have gone for workers' compensation for injured officers and litigation stemming from the use of firearms.

"It's just one of those things that unfortunately, Amnesty is more about what they're against than what they're for," he said. "We are the new technology — it's splashy because of the electricity, you can make it scary. And I'm really disappointed they haven't taken a more constructive approach."

Fred Cheatham, an officer with Escondido police in California, said he thinks the new Tasers seem too bulky but that he would appreciate being able to fire the device three times without reloading.

"I can see a lot of applications for that," he said

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New Taser device can shock 3 people without reload

meh...

I still think that if you deserve a tazing, you deserve a .355" to .452" hole in your knee cap just the same. And the hole will be a constant reminder not to fuck up again.

And last I checked, a box of ammo is much cheaper than a a tazer refill thingy.

(Lehigh County)

Don't taze us, bro!

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    meh...

I still think that if you deserve a tazing, you deserve a .355" to .452" hole in your knee cap just the same. And the hole will be a constant reminder not to fuck up again.

And last I checked, a box of ammo is much cheaper than a a tazer refill thingy.
    Taser cartridges are about 25 dollars each. Right now, you can't find a box of ammo for under that.

But a single bullet...

For those who don't have the capacity to come up with this on their own.....

Tasers are good because:

1. They aren't firearms, therefore do not fall under firearm laws. For example, you take them places where you cant take firearms.

2. Should you zap someone, its alot less litigation. If you kill someone, regardless if it was in complete self defense...its a pretty big deal. There is going to be alot of investigation. Your firearm will most assuredly be taken from you. Your going to probably need a lawyer. I don't know this for sure, but I'm sure they just don't take a statement, leave, and call it a day. Plus...that also helps because we're all human, and if your adrenaline gets going...you get scared and react. Maybe in the eyes of the law, .. a third party... your killing may not have been justified and your in a load of shit. If you tase them, no one has been killed.

3. People who are not allowed to carry firearms can carry a taser.

4. Bullets don't always stop people, especially dope heads. This device overrides the central nervous system and it drops you like a stone. These guys also make shotgun rounds that shoot, like on the Tom Clancy Splinter Cell games, where Sam fires the stun rounds.

5. Should you miss your target, or the round passes straight through you could hurt someone else, ... more litigation. You don't have that problem with a taser.

I honestly could go on all day. But surely, out of the 5 listed above, one will hit home and you'll understand why this is pretty much one of the greatest inventions in defense in the 21st century. If not, I'm glad to list more reasons. Go to these guys website and look at all the products they have. Go to Google and type in "Taser International".

I'm my town of Altoona, a drug store owner used a taser to stop a robbery. He was the first to do this and taser came and gave him an award for it.

I carry a gun 99% of the time, but I bought one of these for my wife because she isn't comfortable with a firearm, and sometimes take it myself when situation permits. I think they are great.

I was under the impression Tasers (not stun guns) were illegal for civilian use in PA. Also there have been a few cases of tasers not dropping larger individuals "like a stone"

They are most certainly legal in PA. Stun guns tasers (stun guns that fire projectiles)

And if it didn't drop someone like a stone then either:

A. they weren't "hit" properly. Like, possible they fired the weapon from too far away and the prongs spread too wide and missed. They can even shock through two inches of clothing.

B. It wasn't a Taser brand taser.

C. the equipment was malfunctioning.

Thats like saying a car didn't drive you from point A to B, thats the cars job, if it didn't it must have been broken or etc... you do the math on what I'm getting at. Point being, these devices are specifically made to drop human beings. It overrides your electrical system and control over your muscles. As long as its used right and is functioning properly.......your going downtown.....every time.

And giving you the benefit of the doubt and just say it didnt work for some reason, because its "junk". Look at the stats on how many times it didn't work (which I'm sure are damn low), as compared to a gun. The numbers aren't even comparable.

Tasers are a freakin' miracle. I stand behind them.....literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatemyglock View Post
    I was under the impression Tasers (not stun guns) were illegal for civilian use in PA. Also there have been a few cases of tasers not dropping larger individuals "like a stone"
    Do research. Thats JUST like how some people say its illegal to open carry a gun in PA. How many times do we hear that? Or some variant.

Its about education and research. Go do some. From educated experienced people in the matter, not just Joe Blow off the street. Like a certified Taser instructor, or a police officer. Or someone that has used one in defense. Go on Youtube and watch the vids and see for yourself how they work. They have one dropping a bull. Its the animal version, but the only difference its a few higher miliamps.