Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ruger Cheap Stainless Steel?

I recently purchased a Ruger SR 1911 Commander from my LGS straight out of the box from gallery of guns , handled only a couple of times to clean, show off, etc. Never been fired by me. Mainly just sat in the safe awaiting a holster.

I found earlier today while cleaning that the gun is beginning to form rust spots all over the hammer, the frame and grip (mainly where your fingers are when gripping the gun) and even in the slide serrations. I have never owned or seen a gun of mine, used or new do this, especially this new!

I am always pretty liberal with Ballistol, except on my Glock.

Anyways, I call Ruger today, very nice woman from technical service spoke to me, long story short they are having me ship it in. A serial # search shows the gun was just manufactured September of this year. Although she couldn't explain to me what exactly they may do to fix the gun, she did say they would replace it if they deem it cannot be repaired. (not sure how you stop rust once it forms) She did say this was def. not normal.

Anyways, I was curious if it is maybe a known fact that Ruger used low grade stainless, or if anyone with a SR1911 has this problem as well?

Also, if Ruger would happen to send me a new receiver or whole new gun (which they said they can ship right to my house), do I need to do new transfer paperwork with the PSP or ATF?
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; November 4th, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Ruger Cheap Stainless Steel?

Stainless means that it will stain less, not be stain free. I had the same issue with my Dan Wesson VBOB. It developed rust under the grip panels, front strap, back strap/GS and on the slide. No matter what preventative measures I took, it still persisted. I emailed DW, and was essentially told that it wasn't their problem, and that they wouldn't be able to do anything. Getting it coated in Robar's NP3 solved the problem.

Sorry that wasn't more help, just providing an example of another stainless gun from a higher end manufacturer that had the same issue.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Stainless means that it will stain less, not be stain free. I had the same issue with my Dan Wesson VBOB. It developed rust under the grip panels, front strap, back strap/GS and on the slide. No matter what preventative measures I took, it still persisted. I emailed DW, and was essentially told that it wasn't their problem, and that they wouldn't be able to do anything. Getting it coated in Robar's NP3 solved the problem.

Sorry that wasn't more help, just providing an example of another stainless gun from a higher end manufacturer that had the same issue.
    A quick google search yielded TONS of people that have had problems with rust all over their SR1911s... great.

I guess I will have to immerse it Ballistol this time.

I hope they send me a new gun.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    A quick google search yielded TONS of people that have had problems with rust all over their SR1911s... great.

I guess I will have to immerse it Ballistol this time.

I hope they send me a new gun.

The only thing that I can think of for you to try that I didn't get around to, is to coat the gun lightly in rennaisance wax.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Wayne County)

What formula does Ruger use for their stainless? All sort of different stainless, how much nickle, chromium, iron are put in. Sucks to hear you have to go thru the BS.

(York County)

If you've got a ruger SR1911 do yourself a favor - remove the grips and oil the frame! I pulled mine after 2 years and found a good bit of black discoloration underneath. Nothing on the outside or where i normally clean though!

I don't think it's the mix of the chrome & nickel in the stainless, I believe the problem is more in the sandblasted low glare satin finish. By opening up micro pores in the metal and increasing the surface are, you've essentially already began the pitting process, just add moisture! A good shot peen would solve the majority of issues with their stainless products.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    What formula does Ruger use for their stainless? All sort of different stainless, how much nickle, chromium, iron are put in. Sucks to hear you have to go thru the BS.
    I have read that the frame is a casting of a proprietary 415 stainless, the slide is 416 and the barrel is 410. All of these are martensitic. Only the 415 has any nickel (3%-5%). They all have around 12% chromium.

None of these grades are chosen for excellent corrosion resistance. They provide some corrosion resistance while having other desirable properties for the application. The designer has to make trade-offs between hardenability, toughness, manufacturability and corrosion resistance.

These steels get their corrosion resistance from a very thin skin of chromium oxide that forms on the surface. It can be abraded off, but will re-form under the right conditions. Dry air is often good enough. When the gun parts are manufactured, there is probably a process called passivation performed after all machining and other operations. In this process, the parts are placed in a warm acid bath to promote the formation of the chrome oxide surface. Unfortunately, this can be tricky to get right in martensitic stainless steels. In all cases, it only works if the parts are really clean first. There are also many other steps in the manufacturing process in which the corrosion resistance of these alloys can be compromised through other problems.

I hope Ruger straightens it out for the OP. The corrosion can be mechanically removed from the parts and they can be cleaned and passivated unless there is another more complicated problem. We'll probably never know what the real problem was.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

The stainless finishes on firearms are not REAL stainless steel, since they will all be magnetic like carbon steel. A real stainless gun would peen and gall and scratch like the dickens.

As others have said, these guns are stain LESS, and still require a good deal of maintance. Like modern knife steels that are called stainless (vg10, cpms30v, aus8), and 420 series, these need to be wiped with silicone or oil frequently, especially on places where the oils from our hands get frequent transfer.

Corrosion X has worked well for me so far.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    The stainless finishes on firearms are not REAL stainless steel, since they will all be magnetic like carbon steel. A real stainless gun would peen and gall and scratch like the dickens..
    A stainless gun is made of stainless steel not plated. Lesser quality stainless can be somewhat magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    A stainless gun is made of stainless steel not plated. Lesser quality stainless can be somewhat magnetic.
    Irony.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast