Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thanks all for the info on guns

You've all bee a great help. I love my XD 45 Compact, though I found out how much I suck shooting higher caliber guns. Like someone said, "Practice, practice, practice," which is what I'll have to do.

I might buy a smaller gun for CC until I get the hang of shooting a higher caliber. Probably a snubby or a very small 9mm.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Thanks all for the info on guns

Be careful with those pocket rockets.. a very tiny 9mm will most likely recoil far worse than a compact XD in .45ACP.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Be careful with those pocket rockets.. a very tiny 9mm will most likely recoil far worse than a compact XD in .45ACP.
    Actually its been my experience that my XD .9mm Sub-Compact has far less recoil than the XD .40 or .45.
    I thought the sub compact would pack a wallop, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't. I can shoot that gun all day without aching. My .38 spcl on the other hand..........well.......
    Just my personal opinion.

Hehe, yeah. The people at the local hunting store told me about specific guns, they're really a bundle of information where I live. I'll just have to wait for the perfect smaller gun. I love this .45 though, I'll eventually be able to shoot with better accuracy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Actually its been my experience that my XD .9mm Sub-Compact has far less recoil than the XD .40 or .45.
    I thought the sub compact would pack a wallop, I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't. I can shoot that gun all day without aching. My .38 spcl on the other hand..........well.......
    Just my personal opinion.
    Actually I was referring to truly tiny pistols, like the Kel-tec PF-9. The normal subcompact polymer pistols like the XD subcompact or the Glock subcompact lines are small, but they still have sufficient mass to dampen the recoil nicely.

The Kel-tec I linked to above, however, is closer to a Walther PPK in size. And let me tell you, PPKs are downright NASTY. And that's just with .380 ammo.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Actually I was referring to truly tiny pistols, like the Kel-tec PF-9. The normal subcompact polymer pistols like the XD subcompact or the Glock subcompact lines are small, but they still have sufficient mass to dampen the recoil nicely.

The Kel-tec I linked to above, however, is closer to a Walther PPK in size. And let me tell you, PPKs are downright NASTY. And that's just with .380 ammo.
    Oops, my bad, misunderstood!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    You've all bee a great help. I love my XD 45 Compact, though I found out how much I suck shooting higher caliber guns. Like someone said, "Practice, practice, practice," which is what I'll have to do.

I might buy a smaller gun for CC until I get the hang of shooting a higher caliber. Probably a snubby or a very small 9mm.
    I can relate. When I switched from 9mm to .45 I found that I started to push into the gun upon firing in anticipation. A short amount of practice not doing that and you'll be good to go. Focus on remaining motionless as the shot goes off, slow fire, to build the muscle memory of not anticipating the recoil. When that's mastered, start shooting faster and faster, keeping the hits in the A zone. It doesn't take long.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    I can relate. When I switched from 9mm to .45 I found that I started to push into the gun upon firing in anticipation. A short amount of practice not doing that and you'll be good to go. Focus on remaining motionless as the shot goes off, slow fire, to build the muscle memory of not anticipating the recoil. When that's mastered, start shooting faster and faster, keeping the hits in the A zone. It doesn't take long.
    Also... if you can have someone load a "dummy" round in to the magazine(s) randomly... this will tell you difinitively if you are anticipating the re-coil... and concentrate on eliminating

If you shoot, and there is no "bang" (dummy round) and your sights are not dead on where you expected them to be... you are flinching / anticipating the re-coil. Work on this.. when the dummy round gets to the chamber... and there is no "bang" and you are on target... you are good...

Practice this a lot if you can