Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Reloading?

(Northampton County)

Default Reloading?

Is anyone in the area into reloading? I have been thinking about getting some equipment but would like to go over the process start to finish with someone knowledgeable. Just got a .38 special and can't believe how expensive ammo is, I'll be saving money (and hopefully making higher quality ammo) in no time if I can reload!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Reloading?

Yes, there are some of us around. Have you read any books on the subject? They are the best place to get started.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Bucks County)

i definately agree that it would be nice to watch and learn how to do it. but i know its hard sometimes to find someone who has the time to do so. I was in your shoes a few months ago, scared almost of what bad things could happen if i messed up. but at the end of the day the best thing you can do is what almost everybody will tell you..READ AS MANY BOOKS ON RELOADING AS POSSIBLE. i read the nosler 6th edition, the ABC's of reloading(highly recommend this one, comes with step by step instructions and pics to go along with them), and the manual that came with my RCBS reloading kit (speer i think). when you hear "read books" it may sound like a lot of reading, but the books are so fat due to the reloading "recipes" and specs so its not all that bad. plus as you read YOU will want to go back and re-read, as you want to learn how to do it the right way. ive been reloading for a very short time now, but feel confident in what i am doing, have reloaded hundreds of rounds for both pistol and rifle with great success (aside from having a chrony, dont know exact speed specs). it is a blast to do and you will most likely be hooked. just make sure you understand the concept of what you are doing, have the manuals handy while you do it, and go for it. good luck.
    Last edited by ca2pa; August 10th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

(Northampton County)

Thanks guys. I do enjoy reading so I will order some books from Midway and see how far that gets me. Any titles in particular to check out?

(Montgomery County)

The most comprehensive is Lee's Modern Reloading. There's info in there you'll find no place else. Cabela's has it on the shelf, but don't count on them always being stocked with reloading supplies.
    For bullets, brass, primers and powder, it's tough to beat King's Shooters Supply in King of Prussia (610-491-9901 - minutes off 202 at 422).
    For the equipment, you may want to call John Silvester at Seneca Arms in Green Lane (215-234-8984); let him order you this kit: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...g/anivers.html. He may also have what you need in the way of powder, etc., and he's much closer to you.
    I use many Lee components (and other makes as well), and their products are affordable and well thought out.
    Please support local gunshops - buying online is a money saver, but supporting local business has it's benefits too.
    Feel free to PM me with questions as you go along.

Charley
    Last edited by homefront; August 18th, 2009 at 08:49 AM.

For your supplies, you may want to try T&T Reloading in Stockertown. Website is
    http://216.15.64.227/.

They used to be well stocked and one of the cheaper places to get things. Call them though before you head out as they are open only certain evenings. You will have fun finding them the first time you go there.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by tsor39 View Post
    For your supplies, you may want to try T&T Reloading in Stockertown. Website is
    http://216.15.64.227/.

They used to be well stocked and one of the cheaper places to get things. Call them though before you head out as they are open only certain evenings. You will have fun finding them the first time you go there.
    The first time I went there I was using Mapquest. It took me to a street in Nazareth. I drove around and finally decided to pull off and call them. I told the guy where I was and he looks out the window and says "Is that you across the street in the silver truck?".
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff