Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Smart Gun

(Montour County)

Default Smart Gun

A coworker this week kept talking about this department or that department using or switching over to using smart guns that must be used in conjunction with a ring that unlocks the gun for use.

I have searched the web and can find no current information about Smart Guns. Is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction to find info? Does anyone have first hand experiance with them? Does anyone know of a department that is using them?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Smart Gun

Judge Dread can tell you all about them
    No longer posting

Quote Originally Posted by ICarryGlock19 View Post
    A coworker this week kept talking about this department or that department using or switching over to using smart guns that must be used in conjunction with a ring that unlocks the gun for use.

I have searched the web and can find no current information about Smart Guns. Is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction to find info? Does anyone have first hand experiance with them? Does anyone know of a department that is using them?

Thanks in advance.

Frank
    Related comic:

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

The ring-key idea has been around for decades starting with the Magna Trigger. I don't think that it ever gained widespread usage because unless you wear a ring on both hands, you can't shoot wronghanded.

Wiley-X is correct - at least 35 - 40 years old. A section of the grip frame (these were revolver days, don't forget) was replaced with something (I'm hazey on the actual mechanicals), and a magnetic ring was worn by the user of the gun. The magnet in the ring pulled something into alignment and allowed the gun to fire. I have seen recent ads for these devices, adapted to the 1911, in gun magazines. They never went over very well. Who wants to modify a gun so that the possibility exists of it being LESS reliable? Improper grip, weak-hand or a mechanical malfunction would put you "out of business".

Here's one that some of the NJ residents on this board may not be aware of - NJ already has "smart gun" legislation signed into law. The state has poured millions of dollars into research (via the NJIT) to "perfect" a smart gun - in this case we are talking bio/electronic - mechanical interface that will not allow anyone but the guns registered owner to fire it. This goes beyond fingerprint recognition. They have mapped the pressure points of the hand/grip interface and are trying to use this as the determinate factor. The law allows the AG to decide when the technology is "perfected" and once that determination is made, ALL handguns sold in NJ must be "smart guns". This one is a sleeper - already passed and signed, just waiting to bite us NJ residents in the ass. Oh, the law exempts LE from having to use them - just another day in the life of a serf in the PRNJ.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member