Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Tullytown, PA trespasser shooting from early 90's...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking for information on the shooting that happened in Tullytown, PA back in the early 1990's or late 1980's.

I remember seeing Alan Rubenstein (back when he was a DA) on TV saying they weren't going to bring charges against the shooter/home owner because he was in the right.

The story as I recall said that the home owner came outside with a shotgun because he heard noises in his shed. A nearly naked man exited the shed and came at the home owner. The home owner fired a shot and the naked guy took off down the street. Then the home owner followed and finished the guy off down the street.

For some reason I have a hard time believing that that is what happened but, I kind of need an article or police report to compare these rumors against.

So, does anyone have any information on this case? Can you post a link? Thanks.

Default Re: Tullytown, PA trespasser shooting from early 90's...

This one?

TULLYTOWN
    Burglar's family awarded $50,000
    The 1994 case gained widespread media attention when former DA Alan Rubenstein said shooting the occasional burglar might be a "wonderful" way to deter crime.
    By LAURIE MASON
    Courier Times
    The family of the Tullytown man who was shot to death in 1994 by a homeowner who was not charged in the incident has been awarded $50,000.
    Howard Reid, 29, was shot and killed by Frank Lucisano following a scuffle on Falls-Tullytown Road. Lucisano told police he caught Reid burglarizing a shed behind his Lakeside Drive home and shot at him with a 12-gauge shotgun.
    Reid broke through a fence in the yard; Lucisano followed him. A fight broke out and Lucisano fired again, this time killing Reid.
    The case gained widespread media attention when then-District Attorney Alan Rubenstein announced he would not charge Lucisano in the shooting, saying, "If you want to deter burglars, an occasional shooting may have a wonderful effect."
    Reid's mother, Dorothy Reid, sued Lucisano in 1996, claiming that her son was killed without provocation. Both parties agreed to binding arbitration, and attorney Barbara Lyons heard the case this week instead of putting it before a jury in county court.
    Lyons found that the act was a "purposeful deed," not an accident. The parties had agreed in advance to set a limit on how much Reid's estate would be awarded if the arbitrator found in its favor, said Dorothy Reid's attorney, Lois Slawe.
    Slawe said Reid was an accomplished artist who had a "fairly minuscule criminal past" that included petty thefts. He did not have any felony convictions, as was reported at the time. Slawe said the family was very happy with the award.
    Lucisano's attorney, Anthony Machetti, could not be reached for comment Friday.
    Rubenstein is now a county judge. He said Friday that the rules of judicial conduct prohibited him from commenting on the case.
    Laurie Mason can be reached at 215-949-4205 or lmason@phillyBurbs.com.
    October 13, 2002
    and:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=6792,928434

Consider checking any archives that might have recorded the event. Local newspapers, long time residents, library, police blotter archives, maybe the homeowner or Alan Rubenstein!
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    This one?

and:

Consider checking any archives that might have recorded the event. Local newspapers, long time residents, library, police blotter archives, maybe the homeowner or Alan Rubenstein!
    I remember that story well, it was right after I moved back to PA and I supported the homeowner. But I wouldn't contact Mr. Rubenstein. I know the guy and I can promise you he won't be happy being asked about this. I never asked him either, I know that would be out of line but I sure wanted to. I did express my personal approval of his decision and left it at that. But I do know he likes a good cigar and a quiet fishing spot. We've fished and puffed stogies at the pond down the street here.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    This one?

and:

I believe that is the one, thanks. For some reason I recall an article that stated that he chased the perp down the street and shot him again. I guess I am mistaken.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by kx90 View Post
    I believe that is the one, thanks. For some reason I recall an article that stated that he chased the perp down the street and shot him again. I guess I am mistaken.
    The article states that he followed him. I would say that is similar to chased.

Be safe (and do not follow or chase me).

Scott

"Howard Reid, 29, was shot and killed by Frank Lucisano following a scuffle on Falls-Tullytown Road. Lucisano told police he caught Reid burglarizing a shed behind his Lakeside Drive home and shot at him with a 12-gauge shotgun.
    Reid broke through a fence in the yard; Lucisano followed him. A fight broke out and Lucisano fired again, this time killing Reid.