Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default What, When, Where and how do we take a stand against the PA State Police Comissioner

I am going on the assumption that most have read the AR 15 owners thread that is in the PA news section.

My readers digest take on this is that the PA State Police Commissioner has ordered FFL dealers to treat what the ATF has called 'receivers' in the same manner as handguns. Requiring dealers to put into the database all stripped virgin AR 15 receivers as a handgun.

As has been posted in that thread by several of our own FFL dealers and attorneys, this practice is a blatant violation of Commonwealth law, but it is still being done by the State Police.

Several members have begun a letter writing campaign to their local and federal Representatives questioning this practice.

Is now the time for our site and members to take a more unified and co-ordinated stance against this blatant violation not only of the law, but of our own civil liberties?

If action does happen, then how can PAFOA make this action come together?

If this is a true association, then on this one issue perhaps now is the time for action?

One or two or a few people doing lettering campaigns, while taking the imitative, have a limited possibility of success in stopping this abuse of the law and our rights.

However, as a state wide association, banding together for a planned and co-ordinated response the possibility of victory in having this rights violation stop is much greater.

What is our Associations stance on this issue?

Will our Association act?

And if action is taken, then how do we together make our voices felt by the powers that be in Harrisburg?

We can sit here and discuss firearms, tactics, reloading ideas and methods, and like subjects from now until hell freezes over. But, if we allow this latest act of disregard for the law to stand unchallenged, then what happens to the point and purpose of firearms ownership?

As has been said by greater minds than mine, if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything.

If we are just a social gathering then the word association in our title is of little value, and the potential of our strength is diminished accordingly.

I am looking forward to your responses on this.
    gotta love her ;)

(Mercer County)

Default Re: What, When, Where and how do we take a stand against the PA State Police Comissio

Elect a new governor. And since our current Attorney General isn't concerned with enforcing laws, you better think long and hard about who you support.

Other than that, you could hope the PSP commish retires and the next guy follows the law...
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Default Re: What, When, Where and how do we take a stand against the PA State Police Comissio

Good luck.....

There were only 24 people show up to campaign for HB 40 to get past committee..................

Most people only bitch, after they get set back, none of them try to prevent it...

The Reader's Digest version of my take on this remains:

A virgin receiver can legally be treated differently than a complete rifle. A "stripped" receiver from a completed rifle, that may be different (as the ATF will tell you, stripping a rifle down and making a pistol is an NFA activity); but if the PSP goes with the "configuration at time of sale" rule, it may be upheld by the courts under PA law.

Treating a complete rifle differently than a complete rifle was insane, and Whitefeather posted a link to a news article where the PSP has abandoned that attempt. I had predicted that the courts would frown on that practice, and the PSP has evidently, belatedly, concurred.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Elect a new governor. And since our current Attorney General isn't concerned with enforcing laws, you better think long and hard about who you support.

Other than that, you could hope the PSP commish retires and the next guy follows the law...
    Why should I hope the chief law enforcement officer of the Commonwealth not only obey the law, but also respect my civil rights and the civil rights of all gun owners?

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Good luck.....

There were only 24 people show up to campaign for HB 40 to get past committee..................

Most people only bitch, after they get set back, none of them try to prevent it...
    As I said in my OP such is what can be expected when a few band together. But since we are an Association, why is that capabilty not being properly deployed for such issues???

To call yourself an Association, but not take action in matters that are specific to the scope and purpose of an association of firearms owners, defeats the purpose of us calling ourselves an association does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The Reader's Digest version of my take on this remains:

A virgin receiver can legally be treated differently than a complete rifle. A "stripped" receiver from a completed rifle, that may be different (as the ATF will tell you, stripping a rifle down and making a pistol is an NFA activity); but if the PSP goes with the "configuration at time of sale" rule, it may be upheld by the courts under PA law.

Treating a complete rifle differently than a complete rifle was insane, and Whitefeather posted a link to a news article where the PSP has abandoned that attempt. I had predicted that the courts would frown on that practice, and the PSP has evidently, belatedly, concurred.

And why were we and an Association not front and center when this blatant abuse of rights was first discovered?

Individual efforts can bear fruit, but with an Association that potential can be expanded on and the result that our rights as gun owners not be so readly trampled upon.

ACORN in its local chapters is not that large, but since it is co-ordinated action for goals that support themselves, they are able to concentrate their power and get their goals accomplished. Ditto for Cease Fire and the Brady Campaign.

Why can't we get our own act together like our sworn enemies do????
    gotta love her ;)

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    Why should I hope the chief law enforcement officer of the Commonwealth not only obey the law, but also respect my civil rights and the civil rights of all gun owners?

As I said in my OP such is what can be expected when a few band together. But since we are an Association, why is that capabilty not being properly deployed for such issues???

To call yourself an Association, but not take action in matters that are specific to the scope and purpose of an association of firearms owners, defeats the purpose of us calling ourselves an association does it not?

And why were we and an Association not front and center when this blatant abuse of rights was first discovered?

Individual efforts can bear fruit, but with an Association that potential can be expanded on and the result that our rights as gun owners not be so readly trampled upon.

ACORN in its local chapters is not that large, but since it is co-ordinated action for goals that support themselves, they are able to concentrate their power and get their goals accomplished. Ditto for Cease Fire and the Brady Campaign.

I will address the bolded.......

Most bitchers are lazy......
    There were enough offers for rides, and I know there are alot that are unemployed, but we still only got 24. And most of those, took time off work, or vacation days, etc., there will be only a handful, who will actually do any pro-active work, the rest will just sit behind their keyboard and bitch.....

3 cheers for Mr. GCA, our elongated, fluting, vocalizator!

But until we resolve this Association nonsense, our empty cup won't be quite as sweet as the punch, now will it?

So, in Bud Light parlance ...

WASSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUP?!

Oh, yeah, and once again, but damn, he deserves rep. But what if someone were to disagree with me?

(Berks County)

Having been on the left side of things from my early childhood, let me share how we used to do things 'back in the day'.

A core group of 20 to 30 were cultivated to make sure that logistics were attended to prior to an event happening. By telephone they contacted as many as they could get a hold of at least two weeks prior to an event happening.

Pick up points were established, a rally point set for all of those coming could form up, signs were pre made and handed out at the rally point. Communications were in place so that each group had specific locations they would fan out to if individual state reps were to be visited. If it was a main rally, then the route was pre planned and the crowd instructed on what to say and how loud to say it.

If something faster was needed, then a crowd of 20 at a minium could be gathered, at the protest point and bullhorns were ready and avaiable.

If we think tatical and act tatical then we can get past the 'bitchers' and actually get something for our side happening.

As I remember the Black Panthers started off as a core of no more than 10 people. Same for the communist party of Vietnam.
    gotta love her ;)

Same for the communist party of Vietnam.
    Hey, if we can get a collection up for a bucket of Original, I might just be there.

(Luzerne County)

There is something in the works. I can't disclose info at this time. But soon enough as we may need help ...

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast