Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Does the term "gun nut" offend you?

Went to a rally in Harrisburg last winter. There were probably 200 or so pro-gun supporters there.

Just prior to speeches from various state politicians one of the organizers greeted us by saying, "Welcome fellow gun nuts".

I thought it was in very poor taste and demeaning to our cause. I almost blurted out my objection.

What do you think of the term "gun nut" when used by one of our own pro-gun friends?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Does the term "gun nut" offend you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Went to a rally in Harrisburg last winter. There were probably 200 or so pro-gun supporters there.

Just prior to speeches from various state politicians one of the organizers greeted us by saying, "Welcome fellow gun nuts".

I thought it was in very poor taste and demeaning to our cause. I almost blurted out my objection.

What do you think of the term "gun nut" when used by one of our own pro-gun friends?
    I think it just gives credence to the anti-gun people who think we are nuts, if you have to use gun & nuts in the same sentence maybe nuts about guns would be better, but I'd prefer guns & nuts not be used in the same sentence to describe us at all, especially by one of our own
    Jesus is Lord !

(Montgomery County)

I prefer "freedom nut".

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

If being called a "gun nut" is the most offensive thing said to you in a day....you're not acting boldly enough in your life, and are one of those "cold timid souls who know neither victory or defeat" as TR put it.

(Jefferson County)

If it is coming from fellow gun owners who aren't "Fudds" - I think nothing of it.

If it is coming from a Fudd or anti-gunner - it does make me cringe a bit. But then I recover, knowing that those who are easily offended by things often lack intelligence, I will respond with a statement to see if they get offended just to test that theory - I'm usually correct.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Honestly, it doesn't phase me at all. I could care less about what someone says to me or thinks of me, aside from my father (only family I have left).

(Lehigh County)

Some people would say I'm a car nut, that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't mind being called a gun nut either. The only difference is everybody owns a car so it seems less nutty, but the meaning of the word is the same, I don't think it's derogatory unless you add something else. Maybe I'm just not easily offended.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Some people would say I'm a car nut, that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't mind being called a gun nut either. The only difference is everybody owns a car so it seems less nutty, but the meaning of the word is the same, I don't think it's derogatory unless you add something else. Maybe I'm just not easily offended.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    My thoughts exactly. "Nut" can also be a synonym of "enthusiast", its all a matter of who says it and how they say it.

I'm not easily offended either.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes_Paulsen View Post
    If being called a "gun nut" is the most offensive thing said to you in a day....you're not acting boldly enough in your life, and are one of those "cold timid souls who know neither victory or defeat" as TR put it.
    Point taken but I am not talking about any offense here of a personal nature. I think use of the term "gun nut" is pejorative and demeaning to gun owners as a whole.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Point taken but I am not talking about any offense here of a personal nature. I think use of the term "gun nut" is pejorative and demeaning to gun owners as a whole.
    It may be, but I personally get more worked up about the outright lie being promoted when 'gun safety' is used in lieu of 'gun control' lately.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast