Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question AR Upper Suggestions

Ok gang. I picked up a new RRA National Match lower over the weekend for a good price, now I need to complete the picture. What I'm looking for is a complete upper, preferably with a 1:8 twist in the barrel. All other options are open for discussion. So point me in a direction. I really want to do this right, so give me reasons for your suggestions, hopefully a little more than "I like the brand." Let the fun begin!!!!!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Default Re: AR Upper Suggestions

What are you looking for? Full length or "tactical?
    Are you righty or lefty?
    What's your budget?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

I too am in the same boat in looking for a Upper but unlike you I'm staring at a stripped receiver and a bag full of parts

Anyway, why a 1:8 twist?

yeah 1x8 is kind of wierd, true MILSPEC is 1x7 and most of what I've seen around is 1x9...

(Montgomery County)

milspec has changed over the years.
    first 1 in 14, then change to 1 in 12, then 1 in 7 so the rifling didn't wear out with the heavier tracers.

the 1in 9 was an intermediate twist that performs ok for both original 55gr stuff(much surplus ball is 55gr), and the 63gr stuff the military issues currently(m855).

the 1 in 8 has a more recent advent in the target shooters who want to stay purely within a 63-77gr bullet weight for best stability.

the 1 in 7 really shoots the 72, 77, and the big 80gr single load length ammo well...

so the question is...what exactly are you going to do with it?

tactical?
    if so, go chrome lined 16 or 20" barrel in a milspec twist, or, for best utility, 1 in 9.
    also, unles you really like the 'look", skip the M4 barrels with the grenade launcher cut, and get the standard semi bull 16"

pure long range target? then go 20 " monolithic barrel, 1" diameter or better, stainless or chromoly barrel with a target crown, freefloat handguard, and a good target trigger.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Blair County)

RRA stainless match barrels, and many others, are 1:8.

Don't get hung up on "mil-spec" stuff. As stated, 1:7 was adopted in the M16A2 to stabilize the M856 62 grain tracer. 1:9 will generally stabilize bullets up to 63 gr. RORG Brit is 63 gr, US M855 is 62 gr.

Also, as stated, heavier than 77 grain will not fit in a mag.

If you want a true precision gun, get a stainless barrel, not a chrome lined barrel. If you want a general purpose shooter, a chrome lined barrel is easier to clean, but unless you are planning to use it in field conditions, the advantage is marginal over a chrome moly steel barrel.

What you plan to use the rifle for (which you didn't mention) has everything to do with what parts to use in your upper.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Allegheny County)

It sounds like you might want a "national match" style AR, maybe for service rifle matches?

I recommend:

Complete White Oak Armament CMP upper

Not a 1:8, but don't get preoccupied with inconsequential increments.

(Berks County)

Question Re: AR Upper Suggestions

Thanks for the input so far guys, I really do appreciate it. You are definitely correct, I did not mention my purposes so I will correct that error now. I have been contemplating using it as a multi-purpose weapon for plinking, home defense(with Hornady TAP rounds) and possibly some mid-range hunting using rounds in the 62 to 69 grain family, hence the 1:8 twist thoughts. I would like to keep barrely length at 16 - 20 inches, possibly 18? As I said, I am not married to anything, so all suggestions are appreciated.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Well seeing as you have a RRA lower, I'd suggest the RRA 18" Varmit which has the 1x8 twist, I'd definatley suggest the falt top for optics.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=91179189

(Blair County)

Others may disagree, but unless you are getting some percieved benefit from or specific reason for a longer barrel, I would go with 16". It will do everything the others will do out to 300 meters.

18" barrels became "cool" when SOCOM started using SPRs (Special Purpose Rifles), which were basically 5.56 sniper support/designated marksman weapons. Some of the 3 Gun crowd out west jumped on this because 3 Gun matches west of the Mississippi tend to involve longer engagement ranges than in the east. The prices have come down, but 18" barrels still cost more than what I think they are worth.

Aside from the flat top, I highly recommend a free floated barrel. It will make the point of impact consistent regardless of the firing conditions (sandbags, offhand, with a sling, braced on a barricade, whatever).

I have one RRA gun, and two more that were built with primarily RRA parts, and I have nothing bad to say.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast