Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Remember: crossing a fog line not justification for a traffic stop.

What I notice is the crappy maintenance of the roads. They have crowns in center so high that if you have a smaller narrower vehicle it forces you back and forth from side to side over the crown trying to keep your little piece of garbage car going straight. I see this with those little micro cars like the Mini Cooper and some of the other roller skates they refer to as automobiles today. The last time I got on the Turnpike at KoP I got behind one of those little homo cars and it was struggling back and forth on the crown going uphill on the older asphalt. It probably fared better when it got to the newly paved concrete over the Schuylkill up to about the Trooper Barracks.

Years ago I remember travelling back and forth from New York City on the New Jersey Turnpike and the crown was very severe. The perfect car for that road back then was one of those big ass 70's Eldorados that could straddle the crown. I drove back from there with a a guy from Philly in his 70's VW Squareback wagon and I thought the thing was going to rollover a couple of times. I guess if you're a revenue hunter you use those kind of roads to your advantage to meet monthly quotas.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I got behind one of those little homo cars

That's a ridiculous thing to say.
    I guess it would be better to have one of those little homo motorcycles that can barely keep up with traffic and gets blown all over the road.
    The Hostler

(Bucks County)

LOL. Works for me.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    That's a ridiculous thing to say.
    I guess it would be better to have one of those little homo motorcycles that can barely keep up with traffic and gets blown all over the road.
    I can remember when all the major roads especially the PA Turnpike that had signs that read "Motorcycles under 250cc were prohibited". They should have signs up that read "if your car can't straddle the crown you're a danger to yourself and others".

(Bucks County)

I recall it being 125cc. Maybe it was expressways. Currently, in the United States, some states prohibit 125cc to 150cc motorcycles or those with less than 5HP of power on their expressways.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Susquehanna County)

"Fog Line"! Damn I just learned something new. Never knew it was called a "Fog Line".

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I passed a cop doing over 100 on I95 in south carolina. Didn't even see him in the lane,
    lights went on, as I was pulling to the side of the road he passed me and jumped the medium,
    and went the other way
    I passed an unmarked trooper in I-79 south somewhere around Grove City. It was around 2:am and I had my pickup cruise at 87. The Road was deserted as I passed a Crown Vic. doing the speed limit, or close to it. I still wasn't sure it was a trooper, I just kept rolling. About 10 minutes later, I noticed a car catching up, and then the same crown vic, with trooper inside rolls up beside me and matched my speed for a minute, and then floors it. He just wanted me to know. I do like the Western PA troopers.

(York County)

CT Put Highway Edge Lines On The Map
    By HENRY PETROSKI - Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM
    https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...021-story.html

While driving along the Merritt Parkway recently, my thoughts were drawn not upward to its famous bridges but downward to the lowly white lines marking the right-hand edge of the road. It is these lines * along with the yellow centerlines and other standardized pavement markings * that have made highways across the country easier and safer to drive upon. They are the finishing touches on the surface transportation infrastructure, and they were used first in Connecticut.

Roadway edge lines were tested on the Merritt back in the 1950s because of the persistence of a lone advocate for safety. John Van Nostrand Dorr was a world-class chemical engineer, metallurgist and inventor who maintained homes in New York City and Washington, Conn. Besides using the Merritt Parkway, Dorr necessarily drove on two-lane highways.

As drivers did generally in the early postwar years, when Dorr and his wife used these roads at night, they hugged the centerline for guidance. This minimized the chance of their drifting off the road but maximized the glare from the headlights of oncoming cars using the same strategy. To avert a collision when momentarily blinded by the lights, drivers tended to veer to the right * often ending up in the soft, grassy shoulder of the road, or worse.

Dorr conceived of a continuous line marking the right edge of the pavement as a new visual aid delineating the road's boundary. This gave drivers a reference other than the centerline for staying in their lane. He convinced the Connecticut highway department to paint an experimental right-edge line on a 4-mile stretch of the Merritt Parkway.

After a six-month testing period, the right-edge line * subsequently also sometimes called a "fog line" * proved effective in helping drivers stay on the straight and narrow. By the end of 1954, the line was painted along the entire length of the Merritt, as well as on many of the state's busiest roads.

After the new line was widely adopted in and outside Connecticut, its use was inexplicably discouraged by the federal authorities empowered by the newly passed interstate highway legislation of 1956. This drew the focus of drivers back toward the centerline, with the obvious consequences.

Getting federal standards correct in the wake of the new interstate legislation required years of growing pains. Even something as seemingly obvious to us now as distinguishing highway center- and edge-lines by the colors yellow and white, respectively, was the subject of much experimentation and debate. In 1958 the Bureau of Public Roads declared that henceforth on all U.S. routes and interstate highways the centerline should be painted white; in 1971 the standard was changed to yellow.

While it may have taken some time for federal agencies to get standards correct, we should all be grateful that they have done so with our roads. To me, keeping the yellow line to my left and the white to my right is one of the most reliable aids to safe nighttime driving. Over the years, however, those lines * along with the ones between lanes * can get worn down and in some locations obliterated.

Like all infrastructure, the markings on highway pavement must be maintained in good condition to be effective. But while the transient activity of repainting lines will never likely be as attention-grabbing as filling a pothole, repaving a stretch of road or replacing a bridge, such a seemingly little thing can make an enormous difference to the driver traveling down a country road on a moonless night. And the presence of sharply defined and clearly marked pavement is a comforting sign that the road itself is also well maintained. With infrastructure, as with so much else involving our built environment, quality and care are reflected in the details.

Henry Petroski is a professor of civil engineering and of history at Duke. This essay is adapted from his forthcoming book,"The Road Taken: The History and Future of America's Infrastructure," which will be published in February.
    The original post in this thread simply points out that no matter how 'benevolent' and 'good-intentioned' the requirements of government are, they will be twisted to use against the citizens if at all possible!

Small Government is the intention of the U.S. Constitution & the Bill of Rights.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I recall it being 125cc. Maybe it was expressways. Currently, in the United States, some states prohibit 125cc to 150cc motorcycles or those with less than 5HP of power on their expressways.
    Yeah, it may have been 125cc the memory isn't what it used to be. The signs that I remember the most was the one at the entrance of the Atlantic City Expressway and the New Jersey Turnpike. The whole point about my post about crowns is if you are forced on either side of the crown or if you are constantly trying to find a spot where the vehicle is stable it appears from behind that you are not in control of the vehicle or are impaired and your tires may be running along the right side "fog line" or on a multiple lane highway you are running on the lane divider line.

One night on the way home from work travelling on US Business 30 in Exton I was driving along and right in front of me was a steel rim bending pot hole in the right lane. I saw it just in time to swerve around it. A minute or two later I was pulled over by a West Whiteland Township police. When I came to a stop and the officer came up to my pick up I asked him what he pulled me over for. Now remember this was years way before the self important audit the auditors you tube channels, anyway the officer said I was swerving out my lane. I laughed and asked him if his township was in the business of selling steel rims for pick up trucks. Then he proceeded to ask me what was in my lunch cooler. I didn't answer that question He asked for my information and I gave it to him and he looked at it and gave it back to me and said have a good evening and we went our own ways.

The point is if you swerve out of your lane for whatever reason that has always been a reason enough for an officer to pull you over for a fishing expedition especially when they have nothing better to do in the early morning hours of an upscale suburban community.
    Last edited by JenniferG; January 4th, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

(Allegheny County)

2:58
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast