Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Ammunition Transportation

I have read a lot on here about transporting over state lines firearms. How the federal law may protect you if it is done properly. This question is more about the idea of transporting ammunition over state lines.

I wondered if there is a limit to how much ammo one can take with them on a trip out of state. Lets say you were going to to visit friends out of state and do some target practice while you are there together. You may bring 5-10 guns with you secured in locked containers. Ammunition would be in separate locked containers. That could mean a lot of ammo if say you had a 1000 rounds of each caliber and ten calibers or more. Would you need to have a commercial license and put a placard on your car or pick up for hazmat?

I know there is a limit to how much cigarettes or alcohol you can transport over state lines for tax reasons. Is there a limit on ammo as well? Not sure if it is available or not but also thought that if you have a friend in the military they may be able to buy ammo at the duty free store or PX for personal use that being the case I am sure the pricing would be great and availability would be good in most cases as well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Ammunition Transportation

No hazmat placards needed. No commercial license needed either. Those are for commercial purposes. If you are transporting for personal usage, how would commercial standards and licensing be needed?

I dont know all of the state laws, but as far as I can tell there may be only a few states you'd have to be remotely concerned about(maybe(?) NJ, NY, MA,IL).