Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default SKS Muzzle Break Conversion Yugo Launcher

Question for a Gunsmith.

I have two Yugo SKS with the Pinned Gernade Launchers. I have seen several post about removing them and replacing them with a Muzzle Break. Howerer could one not leave the Launcher on and drill holes in it to mimic a Muzzle Break. Would this not give the same result as replacing it with a commercial Break?

Thanks,
    Eddie O

(Northampton County)

Default Re: SKS Muzzle Break Conversion Yugo Launcher

It would give it the appearance of a brake however there is a considerable amount of engineering that goes in to building an effective muzzle brake. BLUF, no it wouldn't be the same as installing a commercial brake.

Eddie,

Unless you got access to a Machine shop and good skills at machining, I'd leave well enough alone, Of course if you're going to through all the trouble to remove the old launcher, why not just spring for a new replacement brake?

It will only take one minor slip to become forever known as Bubba.

But of course it's your gun and at one time they were relatively cheap, So it makes some sense to use it as a project gun if that's your goal.

Me personally? I left the Launcher on all mine and just went out and bought a Norinco to fill the Launcherless craving.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Philadelphia County)

I've actually seen this done, but I have no idea as to the effectiveness.

With a press and decent jig you might end up with something that looks ok.

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I'll try to get a pic of mine up. When I got mine it was drilled through to resemble a brake. It was done at the armory back in the 70's (according to the Yugo book that came with it)

I think it resembles more of a flash hider than a brake. I would probably have to shoot one then the other to determine if there was a difference in recoil though.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB63 View Post
    Eddie,

Unless you got access to a Machine shop and good skills at machining, I'd leave well enough alone, Of course if you're going to through all the trouble to remove the old launcher, why not just spring for a new replacement brake?

It will only take one minor slip to become forever known as Bubba.

But of course it's your gun and at one time they were relatively cheap, So it makes some sense to use it as a project gun if that's your goal.

Me personally? I left the Launcher on all mine and just went out and bought a Norinco to fill the Launcherless craving.

TJB
    Thanks,
    I was lucky enough to buy several of theYogo's from Century some time back at a very good price. The best of the lot I kept pure with no alteration as a pure example of a very fine Weapon. I also have one Russian one from China and then the Yugos. I dont know about everyone else but I can't help myself, I got bit by the "Bubba Bug"I admit it, I cant help myself!!!! Every time I look at one of my Cracked Stock, Dark Bore, $100 Yugos I dream I'm a master Gunsmith and see myself turning this dark horse into a fire breathing monster that Rambo would die for. I scan the Web for all of the wounderious parts for altering the SKS, I start to sweat, my heart pounds, Drums, Laser Beams, 100X Sights, Collapsable Stocks, Help Me Help Me,,,,,,,,,,Open the Pod Door Hal,,,,,,,,,,,I can't do that Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hal I'm going to pull your plug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave...Will I Dream?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Don't Know Hal

Cool Re: SKS Muzzle Break Conversion Yugo Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Steve View Post
    I'll try to get a pic of mine up. When I got mine it was drilled through to resemble a brake. It was done at the armory back in the 70's (according to the Yugo book that came with it)

I think it resembles more of a flash hider than a brake. I would probably have to shoot one then the other to determine if there was a difference in recoil though.
    Thanks,
    I was lucky enough to buy several of theYogo's from Century some time back at a very good price. The best of the lot I kept pure with no alteration as a pure example of a very fine Weapon. I also have one Russian one from China and then the Yugos. I dont know about everyone else but I can't help myself, I got bit by the "Bubba Bug"I admit it, I cant help myself!!!! Every time I look at one of my Cracked Stock, Dark Bore, $100 Yugos I dream I'm a master Gunsmith and see myself turning this dark horse into a fire breathing monster that Rambo would die for. I scan the Web for all of the wounderious parts for altering the SKS, I start to sweat, my heart pounds, Drums, Laser Beams, 100X Sights, Collapsable Stocks, Help Me Help Me,,,,,,,,,,Open the Pod Door Hal,,,,,,,,,,,I can't do that Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hal I'm going to pull your plug,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave...Will I Dream?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Don't Know Hal

Cool Re: SKS Muzzle Break Conversion Yugo Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Steve View Post

I was wondering about that, One of the Yugos I received had a smaller launcher that had just a few drilled holes in it. The other Yugo had a larger Launcher with no holes? I wounder what was the original intent in that. Maybe they were configured to launch different types of projectiles?

Thanks
    Ed
    Last edited by Eddie O; August 2nd, 2009 at 04:15 AM.