Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default "...Troopers decided to search the trailer..."

http://www.wgal.com/cnn-news/20291096/detail.html

CUMBERLAND COUNTY, Pa. -- A traffic stop on Interstate 81 turned into a drug bust in Shippensburg Tuesday night.

After talking with the driver, troopers decided to search the trailer where they discovered 300 pounds of marijuana wrapped in bundles.

State troopers in Southhampton Township pulled over an 18-wheeler at about 7 p.m. on Interstate 81 northbound for a moving violation.

After talking with the driver, troopers decided to search the trailer where they discovered 300 pounds of marijuana wrapped in bundles.

Troopers have charged the driver, 44-year-old Seymour Leiba, of The Bronx, N.Y.

He is in Cumberland County prison facing possession with intent to deliver charges.

"Street value is approximately, low ball estimate about $2,000 a pound, could range up to $4,000," said trooper Thomas Pinkerton. "So, you're talking anywhere from $600,000 to a million something."

The truck belongs to White Trucking, LLC of East Stroudsburg.

It is unclear if Leiba works for the company.

State police said that the truck was not reported stolen.

Another story:

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2...9979853302.txt

About 300 pounds of marijuana were seized from a tractor-trailer driven by a New York man who was stopped on Interstate 81 in Southampton Township in Cumberland County Tuesday, according to state police.

Police said Seymour Leiba, 44, of the Bronx, was stopped for a traffic violation about 7:10 p.m. near northbound mile marker 27. The Drug Law Division then located the marijuana in the trailer and seized it, police said.

State police spokesman Tpr. Tom Pinkerton said the street value of marijuana varies between about $2,000 and $4,000 a pound, which would lead to values of between $600,000 and $1.2 million for the shipment.

“It’s definitely a significant seizure,” Pinkerton said. He noted that the rig belonged to a trucking company located in East Stroudsburg, and that investigation continues.

Pinkerton said the seizure was performed as part of the state police SHIELD program, which stands for Safer Highways Initiative for Effective law Enforcement and Detection.

Leiba was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and placed in Cumberland County Prison, where he awaited arraignment Wednesday morning.
    I know that the stories don't give much information, but they make it seem like the LEOs just "decided" to do a search. Is there something that I'm not aware of that lets them search tractor trailers?

Default Re: "...Troopers decided to search the trailer..."

wow thank goodness that scourge of Mary J was taken off the road.

This war on drugs is so worth the loss of our liberty on a massive scale, especially when it is pot.

"after talking with the drivers troopers decided to search the trailer"

you are right, the story doesnt tell much, but this is a case where i am sure they found out to have "probable cause" and no matter what the liars say in court the charges will stick i bet.

i am sure there is a LOT more to the story, maybe the troopers were in the right (and i hope they were) maybe they were not ( i wouldnt be upset if they were in the wrong, but i wouldnt be happy either as wrong is wrong)
    This Space For Rent

(Lackawanna County)

SHIELDS usually involves a drug sniffing dog being present during the stop; if the dog indicated on the trailer, that's RAS right there... (or so they say)
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lycoming County)

Two things. First, I think they have more leeway with commercial carriers. Secondly, just because the article reads that the Troopers decided to search, does not indicate that the driver did not give consent.

Also, I think wa3ra is correct, that team uses dogs.

Be safe (and carry Scooby snacks).

Scott

(Monroe County)

It could have been the driver himself that instilled suspicion. Maybe he fumbled words when asked what he was hauling. Or perhaps he provided a suspicious looking manifest or none at all. Then I think that would be sufficiant.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Be safe (and carry Scooby snacks).
    sounds like this guy was carrying a whole truckload of scooby snacks.
    F*S=k

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    sounds like this guy was carrying a whole truckload of scooby snacks.
    Ya know, people use LOL all the time, but I actually did laugh out loud. Thanks LRT, I needed that, my day is a little hectic.

Be safe (and laugh when you can).

Scott

im not a smoker anymore but i think that its a waste of resorces busting people for pot its eventually going to be legalized in the near future anyhow. now any of those other drugs well hell yah get rid of um and throw the book at whoever they bust wit um.

(York County)

I never understood why people stupid enough to try and transport massive quantities of drugs, would be even more stupid and commit a moving violation or anything of the sort to attract police attention. You'd think, that if your transporting massive amounts of drugs that you'd follow all the traffic laws and drive like Ms. Daisy. But, i guess when your stupid...your REALLY stupid.

I'd be willing to bet that truck was headed to Shippensburg, specifically to be distributed in the Shippensburg College area. God knows you can find pot on that campus just as easily as aspirin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast