Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: STEYR SBS 30.06

Default STEYR SBS 30.06

What is the most accurate brand / gr . round in 30.06 for my steyr sbs , 23.6 barrel lenth , with 3-9 ziess conquest , thanks for some CONSTRUCTIVE help !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AIRBORNE; February 8th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: STEYR SBS 30.06

every gun is different, one round isn't going to be the best for every one. It's expensive but the best thing you could do would be to purchase a box of each of the top of the line ammo from each manufacture in varying bullet weights and shapes (boat tail, soft point, hollow point, Barnes, Hornady, etc, etc). Then have a day at the range. You'll quickly see which ammo your rifle likes by the group size.

jpavoncello is correct in that all rifles like different ammunition. Different lengths and contours of barrels, even densities of steel will all resonate slightly differently and have individual barrel harmonics. If you really want to find the ammunition that will shoot the best, you're going to have to spend some money and shoot some different ammunitions to see what it likes. This DOES NOT mean that you have to shoot everything, and we can help you try to find a starting point. I need you to answer a few questions for us to maybe point you in the right direction.

What do you intend to do with this rifle? Are you intending to hung with it, mainly shoot paper or what? Realistically, what kind of distances are you thinking about taking this rifle to? Remember, don't say, one day I want to take it to so and so range, but realistically what will the ranges typically be that you'll be shooting this rifle. How familiar are you with shooting big bore rifles that can recoil pretty heavy? You should remember that the heavier bullets will recoil heavier. If you're wanting to get away with some of the least recoil you can, but still have a good weighted bullet, you will want to shoot something around the 155's. When you start to move up to the 165's (or 168's) up to 180 grains, the recoil starts to get a fair bit more brisk. If you move up to the 190's and to the 220's, then you're going to get some pretty heavy recoil. The rifle is probably capable of shooting any of these bullet weights just fine, but you just need to decide what is going to be best for you and what you can shoot accurately.

I would also advise that if you're shooting different loads, you need to keep the round counts low on your session. You'll want to be shooting all of them dirty bore, because if you have a clean cold bore shot, you'll see more deviation and it will not help you choose what might shoot best. Remember to take plenty of time in between shots, since the rifle is fairly light barreled, as it starts to heat up, you'll start to probably see some walking in the barrel from stress/heat; so take your time. Dry fire plenty before you even start your range session, so that you're quite familiar with the trigger, and you can see through the scope that you're not flinching. Hold the rifle the same way every time. It will probably take you a little while to figure out which bullet it likes best. But if you go and try to shoot even a box of shells each trip, you'll probably find the recoil getting to you a bit and flinching. Remember to take your time, enjoy it, and make sure that each shot sounds, so that you can really see what the rifle is capable of.

Thanks , i have been shooting 168 federal 308 for years , im just new to the 30.06 . going to try 165 fed , first , see what happens . this is saposed to be a pretty nice rifle , time will tell , i have the stainless /gray stock / zeiss for optics / leapold mnts & rings , just going to play at 100m - 200m range should be fine . we will see how this compares to my ssg 69 ! thanks for the sugestions , keep them coming

Great choice on a rifle. I sold my Steyr SBS Tactial to a friend. Those Steyrs will keep up with all the other companies in the precision department.

If you have an SBS and SSG...you really should be reloading. Try the Hornady Amax 178gr. I only use Hornady bullets for my reloads. I haven't found anything "better" in terms of cost and performance.

I'm not a fan of 30/06, but those Steyr rifles sure are nice looking. Someone local is selling a Steyr 30/06, but I cannot bring myself to buy it.

I added the bipod mount , waiting on the harris bipod in the mail .