Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot Idea

Default Slingshot Idea

Had an idea the other day while walking the woods with my daughter and playing with a slingshot. I realized I had a very good tool to use to teach trajectory. It seems to me that a slingshot ball will do essentially what a bullet does, just a lot slower. I could watch the ball arc, then drop. Once I really started zeroing in on a target at distance I found it to be much like long range shooting, having to estimate elevation. I say estimate cause I doubt I'll find a range card for slingshots. Anyway, am I on a good track with this? I know it's elementary but for someone who knows nothing it looks to me to be a fine beginner's tool to explain what happens with a bullet.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Slingshot Idea

i use to carry one in my pack with me when i was hiking. They are a great thing to have in a survival situation. They can kill birds and small game will very cheap and very storeable ammo. I always had one with me in the swamps when I was a kid.
    No longer posting

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Slingshot Idea

I don't know whether or not it's a good method of teaching the principles of trajectory (since I don't know much about it myself), but I love the simple analogy. A good analogy can make a lot of things clearer.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    i use to carry one in my pack with me when i was hiking. They are a great thing to have in a survival situation. They can kill birds and small game will very cheap and very storeable ammo. I always had one with me in the swamps when I was a kid.
    Didn't Cabelas used to have about half a page of badass looking slingshots, along with ball bering ammo in the fall catalog? Im talking like 20 years ago.

It's probably illegal now a days.........LOL

(Erie County)

phbttt to the rubber band things - go old school. Great use for unloved old golf balls and apples

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Had an idea the other day while walking the woods with my daughter and playing with a slingshot. I realized I had a very good tool to use to teach trajectory.... .
    Yes, you do have a good tool. I did the same thing with my daughters years ago. I tried to plant the seed of learning interest before they started school, it really paid off big time.

Here's how we did it: First, a crude catapult made from a plastic spoon, then a blowgun, crossbow, a pellet gun, then a .22...note the order of higher trajectories. The lesson was observing the higher points of impact, but never quite rising above the barrel's centerline.

Another twist is placing a nickel or penny on a rotating disk or plate to observe centrifugal force. Same deal, higher RPMs translate to higher departure velocities.

This led to questions about the effects of gravity, then orbital mechanics, which led to a stampede on astronomy books and pictures. I think my head exploded somewhere around the point where their questions and interests went to quantum physics. I doubt they were into double digit age then, so they didn't know the math yet. However, they certainly understood the principles.

Oh, and both are now shooters (video link), especially #2 daughter. (link)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Beretta View Post
    It's probably illegal now a days.........LOL
    I know this is going to sound stupid but I hadn't even considered that possibility. And as assine as the notion of illegality seems, I believe it's fact in NJ. SOR will chime in to answer that question, he's very knowledgable of NJ laws. But I really don't care if it is, I'm toting it along anyway since it's certainly no more dangerous than skateboards and bicycles.

Yes, ammo is plentiful for slingshots. Clay balls for target, ball bearings for hunting, various sizes & weights. And good old pepples from the creekside. Flat ones shot "gangsta" style (sideways) will produce some nice skipping stone action on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Yes, you do have a good tool. I did the same thing with my daughters years ago. I tried to plant the seed of learning interest before they started school, it really paid off big time.

Here's how we did it: First, a crude catapult made from a plastic spoon, then a blowgun, crossbow, a pellet gun, then a .22...note the order of higher trajectories. The lesson was observing the higher points of impact, but never quite rising above the barrel's centerline.

Another twist is placing a nickel or penny on a rotating disk or plate to observe centrifugal force. Same deal, higher RPMs translate to higher departure velocities.

This led to questions about the effects of gravity, then orbital mechanics, which led to a stampede on astronomy books and pictures. I think my head exploded somewhere around the point where their questions and interests went to quantum physics. I doubt they were into double digit age then, so they didn't know the math yet. However, they certainly understood the principles.

Oh, and both are now shooters (video link), especially #2 daughter. (link)
    I see you took this idea that came to me to a whole new level! Way to go Dad! Dontcha love it when the simplest of ideas become the catylast to something much bigger than could have been imagined? Supply children with the gift of curiosity and nurture the wonder. Well done Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bogleman View Post
    phbttt to the rubber band things - go old school. Great use for unloved old golf balls and apples
    The slinging site is pretty interesting. I heard somewhere that some Congressmen want to ban the sling & the atlatl, since they are dangerous weapons...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast