Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile What exactly is a loaded gun?

B"H

Hi guys I was reading some forum about someone from Michigan, i think, appealing a firearm charge in pa and later I got confused about an issue.

According to PA law what exactly is a "loaded" gun ? Does there need to be a bullet in the barrel to consider it "loaded" or just having a magazine in the magazine well considered loaded? if having a magazine in the magazine well considered "loaded" then what do you call it when you have a bullet in the barrel? is there a legal term for a bullet in a barrel then?

Thank you for your replies.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: What exactly is a loaded gun?

a loaded gun is if it has bullets inside of the gun , it dont matter if there is one in the pipe or not as long as ther eis bullets inside of the gun itself is considered a loaded weapon, one in the pipe is same as one not in the pipe and a gun magazine loaded with bullets.

for example: gun+1 in the pipe=loaded
    gun+0 in the pipe or in the gun=unloaded
    gun+0 in the pipe and has bullets in the magazine in the gun=loaded
    gun+0 in the pipe and has no magazine in it or no bullets in the magazine =unloaded
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:36 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by voola View Post
    According to PA law what exactly is a "loaded" gun?

Title 18: §61O2. Definitions.

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the non-detachable magazine, or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder, contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    Does there need to be a bullet in the barrel to consider it "loaded" or just having a magazine in the magazine well considered loaded?
    there does not need to be around in the chamber. if there are rounds in the magazine and it is inserted into the gun, the gun is considered loaded. in fact, if there are rounds in the magazine and the magazine is in the same container as the gun (even though the mag is not insered into the gun), the gun is considered loaded.

if having a magazine in the magazine well considered "loaded" then what do you call it when you have a bullet in the barrel? is there a legal term for a bullet in a barrel then?
    i don't think there is a legal term, but that is commonly know as "having a round chambered".
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

B"H

if having a magazine in the magazine well considered "loaded" then what do you call it when you have a bullet in the barrel?
    Ooh ooh, I know.......loaded.

We may or may not agree but according to state law even if you have a semi automatic pistol in your glove box and sitting in there too, but not inserted in the gun, is a loaded mag, you have a loaded gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Beware that some sections of the law require that a gun be unloaded and be in a separate container apart from any ammunition.

(Lackawanna County)

And wish we used the Utah definition; the gun is only 'loaded' if you can fire it in a single motion.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

wow, that is a horrible definition for "loaded" under pa law. at least in the case of a mag fed pistol
    Last edited by cigarmanpa; May 24th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.

(Luzerne County)

LRT posted the correct answer. For purposes within Pa.

18Pa.C.S.6102 contains the definition of "loaded"
    “Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the non-detachable magazine, or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder, contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

a bullet in the barrel
    "Round in the chamber" or "cartridge in the chamber," etc. Not "bullet."