Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jonesing and wimping - an afternoon at the Firing Line

So. It has been a number of weeks since I have been able to pull a trigger, and it was getting to me. I had recently traveled to TN, down to FL, and back to TN for both business and personal reasons. Our daughter lives in FL, and every time we go, we go to the range. That wasn't in the cards this time, as the range was closed. With all the ice, snow, and cold, I have been a wimp about shooting outside. Part of that is the glacial ice all over the place and my desire to not break bones just to satisfy my desire for shooting.

I looked up the Firing Line in Whitehall just to see what their range rates were. I am an outdoors guy whenever possible, but I have been there before, and have always been treated well by the guy who runs the place. I decided to show up there, buy a three month membership, and use it well before the weather breaks. Three months equates roughly to four hours of ala carte range time. As with my previous encounters, I was very well treated, despite my usual wise guy comments, from which I cannot refrain. Those of you who know me will understand.

For the first little while, I had the range to myself. But in very short order, three gentlemen of Hispanic origin showed up. They were loud and raucous, full of braggadocio. I resolved to keep an eye on them as I ran my SIG through its paces. Apparently the manager thought the same thing, as he watched like a hawk through the window. There was lots of Spanish yelling and laughing going on as they prepared to shoot. Eventually I saw the target running out to be the very same distance mine was at. I had to wonder if there was some machismo present.

I was busily punching a ragged hole in the center of my target with the .22 LR conversion kit for my SIG P220. The first rounds from the other group started going off, and I looked over at their target. One would have thought they were shooting with a shotgun at 50 yards or more. The holes were well spaced out, and there were some shots with no corresponding holes appearing in the paper. It appeared they were banging away with a 9mm of some sort. A roar went up when one round struck the bullseye. A cell phone taking video was in evidence. Maybe it will show up here, or on youtube.

To keep things on an even keel, and because I planned to anyway, I removed the .22 slide from my SIG and installed the .45 ACP slide. I quickly went through about 30 rounds or so of old carry ammo and FMJ target stuff. The ragged hole stayed about the same. Things got quiet a the other end of the range.

Just about that time, a young man with a police shirt walked in and started setting up in the lane next to me. He proceeded to run his target out to just about the same range. After hunting around a bit, he steadied down and started punching a very small ragged hole in the target right on the bull with his .40 SIG. Things got even quieter at the other end of the range.

To make a long story a little shorter, the Hispanic gentlemen left shortly thereafter. I struck up a conversation with the policeman, asking him if he really was. He responded in the affirmative. I told him I was one of those guys who was occasionally called in as a MWAG for OC. He had no problem at all with OC, and recognized it as legal. He even went so far as to say he had explained it from time to time with his co-workers on the force.

While he was friendly and responsive, there was one thing that bothered me just a little, although it was resolved regarding this one individual. He mentioned that he had seen me shooting a revolver, to which I responded yes. I offered him a look at it, and then the opportunity to shoot it. I am 52 years old. This officer was young enough to be my son. While he handled his SIG duty pistol very well, he had no idea how a revolver worked. He was very receptive to my instruction. I had to show him how to release the cylinder, and then how to eject the spent casings. I even had to show him how to use the hammer to put the gun into a single action mode.

Here is my concern. I frequently carry a revolver as my sidearm. What happens if I am stopped by some cop who has no idea how one works, but is determined to disarm me for "officer safety"? It is not hard to imagine being shot by my own gun while the guy tries to figure it out. This young man was at the range, and amenable to instruction. Out on the road late at night, it might be a different story with a different person. He was (is) motivated enough to do some training on his own time, and open enough to listen to an old timer explain the workings of an antique style of firearm. But what about those who aren't? Are we at their mercy? Who trains these people, and why are they not familiar with the mechanics of a firearm that has been around for well over 100 years, and is still very much viable in the present day?

I plan on spending a lot more time at the Firing Line, as much as work and other duties will allow, at least until the weather breaks. Perhaps I will see some of you there.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Jonesing and wimping - an afternoon at the Firing Line

I have a membership, call me any time. They also allow FA and suppressors.

Seen lots of cops and Deputies there. Only had a problem there ONCE. HUGE PROBLEM. But only once. And Firing Line backed me up big time after the fact. Whenever I show up, the staff talks to any cops or deputies and introduces them to me before I shoot.

So, until it gets warm and I move outside, give me a ring if you can stand the "heat" I'd be happy to be there every weekend but only make it about once a month nowadays. No shooting buddies during the week and they open at 1200 on the weekend. Which sort of srews up the whole day, but I'll still go. If they opened at 0800 on the weekend I'd be there one or two days a week already.

(Lehigh County)

Were they hold the weapon with the ejection port straight up or towards the floor?

Very good point about the lack of cross-training in weapons handling for LEOs. I'll mention this to the kid when I see him later. He just started LEO Academy.

Firing Line used to offer a reduced rate for LEO the last time I was there. Good folks.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Northampton County)

I'm not going to give out any secrets here, but there are two bays. When all lanes are not full, they keep the members separate. And also provide lanes between when they are nearly full.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Were they hold the weapon with the ejection port straight up or towards the floor?

Very good point about the lack of cross-training in weapons handling for LEOs. I'll mention this to the kid when I see him later. He just started LEO Academy.

Firing Line used to offer a reduced rate for LEO the last time I was there. Good folks.
    id like to take a trip up there sometime... but never being there before i am hesitant after hearing some of the horror stories...

on another note i took a friend of mine out a few weeks ago and he decided to pull the "gangsta" pose and turned it sideways with out me noticing until he fired... and hot brass bounced off the top of my glasses... i damn near smacked him....

on another note if i do ever go out with one of you guys i give no gaurentees if im going to have a ragged hole day or a swiss cheese day... who knows... i need more practice..

(Northampton County)

I have a membership there and often run into some pretty strange people. It's amazing how those guys that work there keep their crap together. 90% of the time when I show up, they are giving instruction. It's great there are new people interested in the sport, but that really has to be a drag. Esp when you have the guys show up who just want to blast away gangster style.

I had one kid ask me "Are you a cop?" I laughed and asked him why. He said because I had so many guns and one of them had a laser. I took the opportunity to educate him on our rights as PA residents. Sure enough, he was from NJ and the thought of "so many guns" was too much for him. All I had with me were my .22 and 9mm.

Anyway, Pennsy I think about the question you ask all the time. In another thread the cops had a hard time figuring out how to get a pistol out of a serpa holster. I really don't want anyone touching my loaded firearm except me. (don't go there).

What would happen if a cop shot you by accident while disarming you for "officer protection"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    What would happen if a cop shot you by accident while disarming you for "officer protection"?
    Best case scenario: a little blood from a flesh wound, and a massive, successful lawsuit

Worst case scenario: death, followed by an elegant coverup and one's survivors never learning the truth

Flip a coin. Both are possible, even within the same department.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Best case scenario: a little blood from a flesh wound, and a massive, successful lawsuit
    'Tis but a scratch. And the Officer says "You'll be stone dead in a minute".

Sorry guys, long day and I had to throw that in there....

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have a membership, call me any time. They also allow FA and suppressors.
    Sounds good to me. I remember the last time at the other place. Brrrr!!!

I did not watch that close, but I am pretty sure they were holding the gun correctly, or at least close enough to avoid the ire of the manager, who was watching them even more than I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Anyway, Pennsy I think about the question you ask all the time. In another thread the cops had a hard time figuring out how to get a pistol out of a serpa holster. I really don't want anyone touching my loaded firearm except me. (don't go there).

I have thought about this many a time. I have never been in the situation, but if it ever arises, and I am inclined to cooperate (i.e. can't talk my way out of it) then the officer in question is going to have to answer a LOT of questions about how he is going to to what before I will present my (pistol) butt to him and let him have his way with me.

Good folks.
    I saved this for last. Yeah, I have read horror stories about this and other places. I have experienced a horror story of my own from time to time, but not here. The first time I ever ventured into the Firing Line was way back in 1991, when I finally had enough money available to buy my first pistol. I bought it at the Army Navy store in Whitehall! In both places they treated me well on my initial visits, and on every subsequent visit for all these years. I will admit I am not in either establishment on a frequent basis, but I just don't run into the trouble that other people seem to have. Of course, cops don't jack me up either, or at least not very much. It must be the air of refinement that pervades my presence.

(Lehigh County)

It must be the air of refinement that pervades my presence.
    Rather!

On a side note, I'll have to meander up to the Firing Line one day... if just to hobnob with the elite.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast