Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 922r Question...

Ok, so I have a Swiss made Classic Green (Sig 550) and would like to take it with me hunting/target shooting in the future sometime. Now, I know that I'll need a state hunting license and ATF form 6 to temporarily import a firearm into the U.S., but I also know that the rifle will need to be 922r compliant. So, my question is, how (if it is possible) would I go about making my rifle 922r compliant? If I get my hands on an American made lower, trigger group, pistol grip and stock, would this be enough?

Thanks,
    Ar180shooter
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 922r Question...

If you are planning to hunt in PA, you wont be using that unless you are missing a hand and rig the mag to only hold (4) cartridges.

As for 922(r) stuff for that - you will need to change out (7) parts to make it compliant. See link ->http://922r.com/ However, it shows no US made parts available for the Sig550 - but they may be some available that may interchange from a US made Sig556.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    If you are planning to hunt in PA, you wont be using that unless you are missing a hand and rig the mag to only hold (4) cartridges.

As for 922(r) stuff for that - you will need to change out (7) parts to make it compliant. See link ->http://922r.com/ However, it shows no US made parts available for the Sig550 - but they may be some available that may interchange from a US made Sig556.
    Thanks!

Wasn't necessarily going to hunt with it in PA (maybe other states though), mainly wondering about the possibility of import to the U.S. at this point.

And thanks again for the link, that was exactly what I needed.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

(Bucks County)

The Fudd is factor is VERY high here in Pa.
    You most certainly will not use that for hunting here.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

you'll probably find that you have to do some very undesirable things to that rifle to import it, at all, even temporarily.

the Sig 550 is a select fire weapon in its original form, modifications done to the action or receiver for import to canada as a semiauto may not be sufficiently modified to allow importation to the US

imported semiautomatic versions of military select fire weapons that accept a high capacity magazine may not be imported with any of the following features:
    Night sights
    grenade launcher
    folding stock
    bayonet lug
    pistolgrip
    flash hider or threaded muzzle

so, you'd have to hack it up just to get the ATF approval for 922(r)... not to mention the possible classification of the machine-gun receiver.

it'd be best to look to ring something else, a bolt action if ya can
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you'll probably find that you have to do some very undesirable things to that rifle to import it, at all, even temporarily.

the Sig 550 is a select fire weapon in its original form, modifications done to the action or receiver for import to canada as a semiauto may not be sufficiently modified to allow importation to the US

imported semiautomatic versions of military select fire weapons that accept a high capacity magazine may not be imported with any of the following features:
    Night sights
    grenade launcher
    folding stock
    bayonet lug
    pistolgrip
    flash hider or threaded muzzle

so, you'd have to hack it up just to get the ATF approval for 922(r)... not to mention the possible classification of the machine-gun receiver.

it'd be best to look to ring something else, a bolt action if ya can
    As for the receiver, it's specially built as a semi auto only, so that part is fine. So even if I only have ten (10) non-US mfg. parts, I still wouldn't be able to import it because of the night sights, bayonet lug, and other features? Damn, I was hoping I could just swap out a few parts, but if I'm going to have to chop it up to import it, I'll just buy a Bushmaster or Stag AR-15, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi
    The Fudd is factor is VERY high here in Pa.
    You most certainly will not use that for hunting here.
    Man, I can even use it to hunt here in Canada... Never would have occurred to me that I couldn't use it to hunt in the States. Oh well, I guess I'll be bringing a Winchester M70.

Thanks for the info.