Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default New Manufactured 5.56 or .223 - $300/K

Arguably this could be in the Ammo & Reloading sub-forum, but I thought it would get the widest audience here. At the risk of creating a run on ammo over at Natchez, take a look at this.

One box at $300, two boxes at $290 each. Shipping to PA is $40 for two boxes (as near as I can tell). So if you ordered two boxes, your total delivered cost would be $310 per 1,000 rounds.

To think that I bought a 1,000 rounds of Federal .223 for $425 (plus tax) at the beginning of the ammo shortage, just in case I couldn't find any ammo at all, let alone ammo that was reasonably priced.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Manufactured 5.56 or .223 - $300/K

thanks for the heads up, i just bought 4000 rounds. shipping to Pittsburgh was $55.67 total for 4 cases.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Armstrong County)

Im guessing you guys dont remember the companys who tried to put it to us during the ammo scare a few years ago. Well over $600 for 1k rounds of 223/556 from places like Natches, Cheaper Than Dirt and a few other places.

I know we hold the right to buy or not buy from who we want, and they can charge what they want. Thats the way of American business.
    Remember who tried to burn you because they could.
    Dont bit the hand that feeds.

rant over

^^^Cheaper than dirt was horrible about that right after Obama got elected.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post

Im guessing you guys dont remember the companys who tried to put it to us during the ammo scare a few years ago.

Dont bit the hand that feeds.
    Although that is one school of thought that I have subscribed to from time to time in the past, another school of thought would be to profit from a reverse screw by buying ammo at below current market rates.

I guess it is easy for me to say that as I had a good supply of ammo before the run-up and only bought 1K as a just-in-case reserve. If on the other hand, you were an every weekend shooter that didn't stockpile, I could see where someone might be significantly less sympathetic to the strategy of waiting it out.

As a philosophical point, does one stop buying gasoline because although supplies are rising and demand is dropping due to the recession, the price keeps going up? Whether you hold the oil companies or Wall Street (again) responsible, clearly someone is gouging the consumer.

Did your property taxes just go up by more than 5% each year (this and last), even though the value of your house has dropped by more than 20% and supposedly inflation is near zero?

In one case (ammo gouging), it severely damages your ability to enjoy what is presumably a hobby. (Do you really need more than 50 rounds of rifle ammo to defend your house, all practice aside?) The other case (major economic dampers), destroys the economy that allows you to have any hobbies at all, maybe even the ability to keep your job and your house.

I'm not excusing any vendors that were unconscionably gouging on ammo during the run-up. I'm just trying to keep my powder dry for what I believe are the real large-scale villains in this world. In the specific case of ammo gouging, although some vendors did make poor pricing decisions, ultimately I have to say the real blame resides (80/20 rule) with Obama (and/or the Democratic majority).
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa