Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Register a found handgun

I know of someone that recently purchased a house in PA, he found several rifles and pistols in a hidden area unbeknownst to him when he bought the house. The previous owner died, and he purchased the house from the family. My question is, does he need to do anything by law to "register" any of them?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Register a found handgun

First of all there is no gun registration in Pa, but If the guy's wife or child(ren) is still alive, they can transfer the Hand guns to him as if they were gifted to them. Basically a wife or any children of the guns owner would be the new owner(s). That is for handguns...the long guns should be a non issue since private sale of long guns is legal in Pennsylvania and since your friend bought the house with them inside they are technically his. Hand guns, by law, do need to be transferred and have PICS run on your friend.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the quick response. He said the daughter of the previous owner is alive, but was not on good terms with her father, and seemed like a real piece of work. I would have to imagine that if he went to her, she would keep the guns out of spite. I was just wondering what he was required by law to do, as well as have a good chance to keep the guns.

Personally I would like to try to convince him to sell me one of the handguns, but I am not approaching the issue until I know that I would be legal to purchase it from him.
    Last edited by 4FUN; January 15th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4FUN View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. He said the daughter of the previous owner is alive, but was not on good terms with her father, and seemed like a real piece of work. I would have to imagine that if he went to her, she would keep the guns out of spite. I was just wondering what he was required by law to do, as well as have a good chance to keep the guns.

Personally I would like to try to convince him to sell me one of the handguns, but I am not approaching the issue until I know that I would be legal to purchase it from him.
    In all honesty, if he offered her like 20 bucks per hand gun just to get her to accompany him to an FFL to transfer them she may bite. But if he doesn't have a LTCF I believe he would already be in violation of the law by possessing them. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I believe that is the case.

(Montgomery County)

He does have a conceal carry license, but I think I still have the answer I guess I was ultimately looking for on both counts: A) I will let him know about trying to get to an FFL, and B) although I would really like to try to purchase one from him, I think I will look elsewhere.

(Allegheny County)

something very similar was discussed recently when a fellow bought a trailer and found a gun in it. i think that gunlawyer said that the gun was his since they were part of the purchased property.

(Allegheny County)

If the first person to respond told you to take them to the nearest police station, would you?

This is the internet. Not saying the first reply is wrong, just saying.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    In all honesty, if he offered her like 20 bucks per hand gun just to get her to accompany him to an FFL to transfer them she may bite. But if he doesn't have a LTCF I believe he would already be in violation of the law by possessing them. I'm not 100% sure about that, but I believe that is the case.
    I don't see how this friend not having a LTCF would be in violation of anything by possessing them?
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    something very similar was discussed recently when a fellow bought a trailer and found a gun in it. i think that gunlawyer said that the gun was his since they were part of the purchased property.
    In that thread it was indicated that the contents were included. That is not necessarily so (as we know so far) in this thread.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    In that thread it was indicated that the contents were included. That is not necessarily so (as we know so far) in this thread.
    i dont know real estate law but doesnt property left behind with the house convey unless other arrangements were made?

i buy a house and find a bookcase in the basement. unless the previous owner said that hell be back to get it. isnt that bookcase mine?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast