Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default time for a new build...

ok, so i have built an AR15 (m4 style, pistol (two to be exact) A1 replica, A2 replica and working on 3 more of various styles and mixes now) but i am bored with AR's. i have build mild to wild. they are lego guns. you buy te parts you want, you put them on.

its time to build something a little more hands on. its time to build a 1911.

i have a SA 1911A1 now and love it. i have added a few parts that were slide in no fitting required.

i want to build, from the ground up, my own 1911 with all the bells and whistles i want on the first go around.

i can take a 1911 apart no problem, to clean it...

recomend me some reading material for part fitting and smith work.

recomend me some parts that you would want on your 1911 and why.

thanks, and it will be 2 months until i start this build... have to get moved first! (and finish the current AR builds... lol)
    This Space For Rent

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: time for a new build...

I would contact Fusion Firearms in Binghamton, NY. I forget the owner's name but he got Dan Wesson 1911's going strong before CZ bought him out.
    Fusion sells finished guns along with kit 1911's. They will do the slide to frame fitting and offer building assistance. I would give them a call.

(Erie County)

I have looked into building a custom 1911 myself as I feel the same about building ar15's (its just toooo easy any more) The benefit of building an AR15 is of course you get the rifle exactly how you want and it is cheaper than buying prebuilt. I could find the same to be true with 1911. I added up all the parts I would need to build a mid-high end 1911 and I was over $1,000. By the time I had it finished, I can just go buy a very respectable 1911 from the store.
    With that being said its still a lot more fun to shoot something you know you made.
    just my .02

(Philadelphia County)

If I ever have funds to build a 1911 (which I someday hope to) I've heard nothing but good things about STI. This is probably the trigger group I'd go with. http://www.1911store.com/tunedtrigge...proseries.aspx
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I have looked into building a custom 1911 myself as I feel the same about building ar15's (its just toooo easy any more) The benefit of building an AR15 is of course you get the rifle exactly how you want and it is cheaper than buying prebuilt. I could find the same to be true with 1911. I added up all the parts I would need to build a mid-high end 1911 and I was over $1,000. By the time I had it finished, I can just go buy a very respectable 1911 from the store.
    With that being said its still a lot more fun to shoot something you know you made.
    just my .02
    i agree on the cost, BUT, you said the part that i like the most... its jsut more fun to know YOU did the work, YOUR way.

i CAN afford to drop a grand or two at once, but i dont like to. with a build i can spend the money as i feel comfy with and not have to worry about having a savings account.

plus i want the satisfaction of saying i did it myself.
    This Space For Rent

(Northampton County)

Hello everyone!

I have seen some kits that are relatively inexpensive and all that you would need is a frame, some include a frame, and others you have to get the other parts to finish the build. So the cost will vary depending on which kit you get and which vendor you go to as well.

I would like to build a 1911 type handgun from a kit. But first my 79 year old dad and I, want to build a M1.

The problem I having is finding places that offer the kits with most of what you will need to build the 1911 style pistol.

(Philadelphia County)

Be careful when buying a cheap 1911 kit. You may end up with substandard or out of spec parts. It's really is a case of you get what you pay for.

Check the link for the story of a guy who went with a cheap Sarco kit.

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/

(Chester County)

http://www.gunbooks.com/colt45.html

Great place to start learning the nitty gritty details of their inner workings.

Volume II is worth getting, too.

(Philadelphia County)

Here's a site with lots of great info when it comes to building a 1911.

http://www.blindhogg.com/index.html

(Northampton County)

Hello everyone!

A couple of places that sell kits, also build and manufacture parts and the handguns. The one place, I looked at manufactures frames, receivers, and also builds firearms and does custom builds as well. They said they manufacture their stuff to 2 sets of standards: Mil-spec (because they offer mil-spec products) and something in between mil-spec and standard factory grade - something like a cumstom or a select grade. I forget exactly what they call it.

I know there are some very cheaply made stuff out there, and that those parts can fail rather quickly and cause injuries if not properly installed and/or maintained. Other parts are "cheap knock offs" and should be avoided at all costs because of the questionable metalurgy content and tolerances. That why I am trying to find out what are the best reputible places to go to that offer these parts kits and also have good customer service.