Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Juvenile past effecting LTCF?

Hey everyone. First off, EXCELLENT forum. I've been reading for days and it's very well done.

I have seen LOTS of threads similar to mine, but unfortunately none are the same scenario..

As the title states, im curious if my past will affect the outcome of my LTCF application. Ive read people have been turned down, and read people have not had any problems.. Maybe someone here can help??

When i was 15 or so i was with a few kids i just met and we ended up stealing stuff (cds mostly and a leather jacket) from the back seat of a car and got caught. I was charged with receiving stolen property, conspiracy, and theft by unlawful taking.

I was very scared as ive never been in trouble with the police before. I stupidly confessed to other crimes they(other kids) did aswell out of pure fear and intimidation. the investigator didnt wanna hear that i was only involved in one incident and kept threatening me with lockup for lieing.. So after the number of cars i was involved with went from 1 to 5, to 10 , he finally was satisfied enough to get my confession on videotape. I ended up having a total or 30 misdemeanors, the 3 mentioned above times 10.. Bastard..

Anyways, the reason im asking this here is that i have purchased 2 handguns(erie sports store/ Gander Mountain) in the last 8 years(9MM and .22) and had the PICS background check and passed. Also just last week i purchased an AR-15 and also had PICS ran and everything was ok. Does that mean theoretically i should "pass" as an applicant for a LTCF if i pass a PICS?

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Juvenile past effecting LTCF?

Not a lawyer but generally, a Juvenile arrest and conviction record does not follow you upon becoming an adult. So theoretically you will pass your LTCF application. Some on here more versed than I will respond in time and provide better info.

However, I do know that a juvenile record will count toward any new sentence as an adult. Meaning, all that crap as a juvenile won't affect you unless you are arrested, tried, and convicted of any crime in PA.

So, with all that stuff, if you say get a DUI, your first, you'll probably end up going to state prison for the max sentence. Why? Because of mandatory state sentencing guidelines which takes into account your entire criminal history from day one of birth. Many juvenile offenders do not understand this and do all kinds of crazy shit and when they turn 18, do something rather small but end up getting 10 years in state prison because the Juvenile record does count for sentencing purposes.

Hope this provides some info for you...

CL