Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What to look for in a first bow

I think I'm going to try my hand at bow hunting next year so my task from now until then is to research/buy and learn what I need to.

I don't want to spend a ton on something I'm not sure if I will like so what's a good starter bow?

Im 6' tall, ~280 lbs. I have several steel plates in my left arm, but I am right handed. The plates can't take a ton of stress for a long time if that makes any difference.

What do I need to learn about arrows?

Maybe I should be looking at a crossbow?

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What to look for in a first bow

Since you have problems with having your left (holding it out straight) arm under tension (you will draw with your right) You should look into a DUAL cam bow. They are easier to draw than a solo. If you qualify as disabled a crossbow might be a good idea. Arrows are best if the are carbon (ONLY my opinion) and your tips matter quite a bit as well. Then you can get into all the other things - Stabilizers, "whiskers", sights, tip weights, etc etc. But I find it very hard to explain bows online, its one of those things that have to be shown and tested. Best bet is to go to a REPUTABLE archery shop and talk to someone there who KNOWS bows and bow hunting.

~Steve
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; December 18th, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

(Monroe County)

1. You don't need a permit for a xbow anymore, its legal to use now but read up on the rules and season limits... real men don't use xbows :P (Sorry couldn't resist)

2. Look for something in the 50 - 60 pound draw, set it in the low 50's and you'll be perfectly fine.

3. Go shoot some bows first to get an idea of what you are looking for and to make sure this is something you are going to be able to do. When you go out to shoot leave your credit card at home! You will notice HUGE differences in bows... its amazing how different bows shoot

4. Make sure you are right eye dominant, for archery its MUCH more important then which hand is dominant, I'm right hand dominant in everything, shoot bow and rifle lefty due to eye dominance

5. The riser will make it feel heavier / lighter which will probably impact your arm. try to find the lightest FEELING bow possible, the weight on the card doesn't always mean it will feel lighter (depends on how the weight is spread out... etc)

6. I would suggest staying in the 33" - 36" A2A range, much shorter and you may have issues shooting accurately as a new shooter and the peep gets further out. I personally find bows under 32" very difficult to shoot due to this.

7. Once you think you know exactly which bow you want, come on here and let us know, we may be able to direct you to a better value bow or shed light on issues with the bow.. etc

welcome to your new addiction :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Thanks dredly, I cant explain archery for ANYTHING over the puter.

~Steve

Thanks for the info Dred, I can shoot rifle (irons, scopes, red dots) with either eye just as fine, but definitely have a right hand dominance (due to losing lots of sensitivity/nerves in my left hand when I sustained my injuries).

(Schuylkill County)

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

This may help your hunt for a bow.

I have never bought from them but have used their site for information as I am a newby to bowhunting last year.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Since you have problems with having your left (holding it out straight) arm under tension (you will draw with your right)
    Your lead arm should never be held locked straight out while shooting a bow.

I'll keep my overall suggestions simple.

Twenty years ago when I started archery hunting, I took my first deer with a left handed bow that I shot right handed. I don't suggest this!

First, to get it out of the way, if your budget is X, you'd be much better off buying a used (even heavily used) name brand bow at X dollars then some junk combo package for X dollars.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into a Hoyt vs. Mathews vs. Bowtech discussion, but I personally am a lifelong Mathews shooter.

The idea that you don't really know if you're going to be left handed or right handed is a little scary. I'd suggest finding a friend with a bow, odds are they'll be right handed, and shoot their bow. Figure this out first.

As far as arrows.....I personally have shot cf arrows with Muzzy (have several Muzzy Moment pics) fixed blade tips forever. I like this setup and, if on a budget, Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse have house brand arrows at decent prices. If no budget go carbon express with whatever tips you think are cool. You can overanalyze expandable vs. fixed vs. two/three/four blade all night long. With proper shot placement they'll all make an animal bleed like a hose until they're in your freezer.

Hope this helps. In summary, figure out what hand you are, buy a used name brand bow, cf arrows.....BUT, most importantly, make sure all of these things are fitted to you.
    Last edited by Something; December 18th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    The idea that you don't really know if you're going to be left handed or right handed is a little scary. I'd suggest finding a friend with a bow, odds are they'll be right handed, and shoot their bow. Figure this out first.
    Im right handed by default, but ambidextrous for the most part. I train to shoot carbine right and left handed and with both eyes, together an individually.

I planned on buying used anyways, for me that's the cheapest segway into anything.

Thanks for the tips though, they're definitely worth going over!

(lol 3,000th post)

(Schuylkill County)

As much as I appreciate someone wanting to save money by buying used they also may end up with someone elses problem or just plain junk. I think with a little research and understanding what does what, and why, you will find that you will be able to afford a new bow.

And please dont fall for all the HYPE by some of the top bow makers that they try to push.

A well used bow is NOT what you want and can be dangerous!

There are bow packages that are very affordable and will do a FINE job of killing anything within bow range.

(Bucks County)

I agree with all that's been said here. The only things I can add is go to an archery shop with a range and have them measure your draw length then shoot all the bows you can that are in your price range side by side that day.

I bought a new bow last spring that way and I definitely got the best bow for me. I shot three different brands of bow that day and the only way I could have picked the best one for me was to shoot them side by side.

I put a whisker biscuit arrow rest on that new bow and I highly recommend them as long as your bow will be used exclusively for hunting and it will work with your bow. The pros at the archery shop can help you make that decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast