Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default what should my new .45 be?

alright im stuck and cant figure out what i want, ive got a glock 30 that i use for carry occasionally, but im thinking of a 1911 style. any suggestions?
    Lifes hard, its even harder when your stupid - John Wayne.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: what should my new .45 be?

I own Kimber (older model - internal extractor), S&W, and a Springfield. All are great giuns, competitively priced, with perhaps the Springfield being the least expensive of the three.

See if you can rent one at a local range, or go shooting with someone who has one first. They're... "different"... if you're NOT used to them, or have been swayed to the dark side (polymer!) previously. A LOT of people like them in THEORY, but NOT in practice. A box of ammo for a pistol you discover don't like, is a LOT cheaper than a pistol, holster, mags & ammo, for a pistol you don't like!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: what should my new .45 be?

Whats your price range for a 1911

(Allegheny County)

Be different and get a revolver in .45 acp! :-)

Really need price range and what expected roll of pistol. Carry, Range, Safe Queen/Investment

Most people with 1911's have more than one..
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Westmoreland County)

I love the 1911 platform, but it is not for everyone. Some people are uncomfortable carrying them as designed in 'Condition 1' (cocked and locked) Have you ever fired a 1911? I would suggest that you try one out before you make the investment. Maybe rent a couple different ones at a range, see what you prefer. Full size (my personal preference) Commander size, compact, etc.

Not trying to start a flame war, but I have been shooting for many years now, and never fired a Glock model that had a natural grip feel,POA, and sexiness to it like a 1911 does. Never spent money on a tupperware pistol either, just my personal preferences here. Not bashing the Glock reliability either, they are proven to be indestructable, and I have seen their abuse and reliability many times since they first came to be on the market.

If you have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket right now, and are going to buy a 1911 anyways, maybe something with a reliable reputation, but less expensive is the way to start out. Then if you don't like it, you won't be out as much cash in depreciation.

There will surely be people here who will disagree on quality, but Armscor makes Citadel and Rock Island in the Phillippines, and Metro Arms makes the American Classic and Firestorm there too. (NOT the same as the old Firestorms once made by Llama, much better, they just own the Firestorm name now)

I have owned excellent performing 1911's made by these companies, RIA and AC. Obviously no comparism to Colt, Kimber, Springfield, or more expensive models in fit and finish. But for a starter 1911 they are great.
    And The American Classic and the Rock Islands can usually be found for under $450. Just a couple suggestions, there are others out there too at a reasonable entry level price.

This is a probably the best 1911 forum on the 'net http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php Scroll down and many individual manufacturers are there.

Maybe go there and lurk around and educate yourself a little bit, then you won't get ripped off as easily.

Also, IMO, I would not recommend buying a used 1911 for your first one, unless you have a very trusted seller/dealer in mind.
    There are too many amateur/dremel tool happy/kitchen table/bubba gunsmiths out there who ruin them and then trade them in. I find some for sale at almost every gun show I have attended.

Just be warned now== If you find that you really like 1911's, then most likely you will easily become addicted to them. One is never enough, believe me.
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28

Not a 1911, but have you looked into the FNP-Tactical. It looks pretty baller. It will be my next .45.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...062&gid=FNG001
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

is the XDm 45 out yet? that would be a good one... or a Springfield 1911...
    This Space For Rent

Pending on what you want to spend, a Springfield or a Colt. IF (all caps) you look at a used one, have a gunsmith that works on 1911 check it over. You never know what someone has tried to do to it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Not a 1911, but have you looked into the FNP-Tactical. It looks pretty baller. It will be my next .45.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...062&gid=FNG001
    had one, hated it, unless you have bear paws for hands it wont be comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    Pending on what you want to spend, a Springfield or a Colt. IF (all caps) you look at a used one, have a gunsmith that works on 1911 check it over. You never know what someone has tried to do to it.
    i vote TRP, im a little biased though
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast