Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Whats involved in obtaining an FFL?

I've just recently started buying/selling/trading guns and am really liking my new found hobby.

I was wondering whats required to obtain an FFL? If nothing else, maybe I could save myself some transfer fees and or provide a service to others at a reasonable cost.

I was reviewing form 7 on the ATF's website and it seems relatively straight forward:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/at...12-notice.html
    Last edited by user; March 13th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Whats involved in obtaining an FFL?

To be approved by the BATFE you will need: A place of business. Not nessissarily a commercial storefront, that does help though; but a set place to conduct transactions. This must be accessable for BATFE compliance inspectors when need be. This POB will need proper zoning in your municipality. You will need a Pa. Sales Tax license and any other local permits required. You will have to eventualy get a Pa. License To Sell Firearms before you can conduct any tranactions. You MUST be a legitimite business entity and not someone holding an FFL for your own personal transactions. You will be inspected by a BATFE compliance inspector prior to or just after receiving yout FFL. These inspections are routine and can occure annualy if the compliance inspectors wish to do so.

I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck and if you have any other questions, just ask.

I'm not all to familiar with the process but a friend of mine has applied for his FFL and was informed by BATFE that it could take up to a year for approval.

I've helped clients with this issue before. ATF will want to see that you intend to engage in actual business, that you plan to sell to retail customers. You'll need zoning approval for your retail store. You'll need fixed hours of business. You'll need a plan.

They will NOT want to hear that you've been buying and selling for profit already, or that you want to save money by buying guns for yourself and your friends.

Don't fall into the trap, where your activity is illegal without an FFL, but they won't issue you an FFL because you won't be doing enough business.

Remember, ATF intentionally and systematically eliminated about 2/3rds of all FFL's under the Clinton administration, so they got a lot of experience in discouraging law-abiding citizens from being FFL's.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

First issue you have is....... Philly. Good luck there.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.