Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    If you can't speak, write and understand english, no gun for you.
    I can't agree with this. The 2nd enumerates natural rights. And pro 2nd supporters putting limits on the 2nd hurts us all by making it easier to put other limits on the 2nd. Neither the federal or state constitution say the right to a firearm unless you don't speak English......
    Last edited by internet troll; March 7th, 2020 at 01:25 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Agreed.

However, for the short term, could they not just bring a trusted friend fluent in English and Chinese to help them? Anything that gets more good people armed is a win for me.
    This is allowed. From the 4473, Section A instructions:

The transferee/buyer must personally complete Section A of this form and certify (sign) tha the answers are true, correct and complete. However, if the transfree/buyer is unable to read and/or write, the answers (other than the signature) may be completed by another person, excluding the transferor/seller. Two persons (other than the transferor/seller) must then sign as a witness to the transferee's/buyers answers and signature/certification in question 14...
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I can't agree with this. The 2nd enumerates natural rights. And pro 2nd supporters putting limits on the 2nd hurts us all by making it easier to put other limits on the 2nd. Neither the federal or state constitution say the right to a firearm unless you don't speak English......
    My opinion isn't limited to firearms. Can't speak, read or understand english? No drivers license. No admission to public schools. No right to vote. No path to citizenship. No rights, period.
    It's a different world from when our grandparents came over to help build a nation. Now immigrants come here to take advantage of what they built.
    Fuck 'em.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Not sure about in other places like California but in PA just about all Chinese can read English. Many have advanced degrees and their high schools and universities in urban areas all teach English. Its because of tech and computers, everything is in English. There might be some older relatives who also moved over that can't speak English but with their usual extended families grandma would not have to purchase a firearm.

I am sympathetic to those who want to encourage immigrants to assimilate. However, the fact that the government provides assistance to those who speak other languages when dealing with other facets of the government but not when involving the exercise of a constitutional right (ie. Right to Keep and Bear Arms) strikes me as just another gun control policy in action.

(Berks County)

My opinion isn't limited to firearms. Can't speak, read or understand english? No drivers license. No admission to public schools. No right to vote. No path to citizenship. No rights, period.
    It's a different world from when our grandparents came over to help build a nation. Now immigrants come here to take advantage of what they built.
    Fuck 'em.
    Puerto Rico is American possession so that is why Spanish forms are available. They are born citizens and don't have to speak English. Hawaiian language should be available and Samoan. Chinese not so much.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.
    Get rid of the 4473.

If you can't speak, write and understand english, no gun for you.
    That would be my policy as well. Any business owner has the right to refuse service (unless they're gay apparently then you must bend over backwards for them), so playing it safe if you cannot understand the customer is a good policy, ESPECIALLY when the goods being sold are firearms.

It's not discrimination, it's protecting yourself legally.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    This is allowed. From the 4473, Section A instructions:

The transferee/buyer must personally complete Section A of this form and certify (sign) tha the answers are true, correct and complete. However, if the transfree/buyer is unable to read and/or write, the answers (other than the signature) may be completed by another person, excluding the transferor/seller. Two persons (other than the transferor/seller) must then sign as a witness to the transferee's/buyers answers and signature/certification in question 14...
    Thanks. Problem solved.

Fuck 'em.
    I can't agree with that. It's freaking hard to learn a new language. What if they are in the process of learning English and going to night classes? You want to delay their right to self defense because of a language barrier? Just because they can't speak English doesn't mean they're stupid or unfit to own a firearm. I agree people SHOULD learn English... but again just highlighting it's not something that can always happen overnight.

It's the same as a waiting period for an LTCF or purchasing a firearm. A right delayed is a right denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Get rid of the 4473.
    This also solves the problem...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.
    While that would be helpful......the right to keep and bear arms isn’t predicated on if you can speak english or not. Much like folks that can’t read and morons still get 1st Amendment rights.....
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast