Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Post Gas Station Robberies... Schuylkill County... Need help have question..!!

Close thread please too many opinions not enough fact
    Last edited by MrRuffGunz; February 11th, 2012 at 09:03 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Gas Station Robberies... Schuylkill County... Need help have question..!!

You have no duty to flee, however you cannot just shoot them either without the fulfillment of certain circumstances.

If they present a weapon, your life is without a doubt in danger. You do what you need to do.

The laws say if you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury, rape, or kidnapping you can use deadly force. But there needs to be some substance to justify that fear - like an actual threat. A strong-arm robbery without a weapon would have a hard time fulfilling justification for deadly force.

PA has two different levels of action, "Force" and "Deadly Force". Deadly force is strictly limited. Force isn't as limited, but should be used sparingly.

Shooting them in the back is generally a bad thing. However it isn't always unlawful either. You only use deadly force if you or someone else faces immediate threat of death, serious bodily injury, rape, or kidnapping. There are times when you believe that they may continue to pose a threat to you or society as they flee that may still justify shooting them as they run. But overall, you are legally better off being a good witness and not shooting them if they do flee.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 6th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Gas Station Robberies... Schuylkill County... Need help have question..!!

With ten years in the C-store business as an owner/operator I can appreciate your concerns in this economy. When the economy is bad you're a sitting duck in a Stop and Rob.

You need to be prepared to go to war with each and every car that pulls up. It's a tough way to be but if you work alone you don't have much choice.

In my mind, if someone comes in and demands cash, what they are really saying is "give me the money or else". Now the question is, or else what? You get a big sloppy kiss? Probably not. So, you have to decide what to you want to do. If they do not produce a weapon or verbalize a specific threat, shooting may not be appropriate. However, drawing your weapon is appropriate.

What you do after that is very specific to your circumstance, do you have an easy retreat to take up a fortified position? How easily can your space be violated? All of this will play a role in how you respond.

Can you shoot him im the back? No, that's bad form almost everywhere these days. But, you can and should do everything in your power to survive.

Some days that can be as simple as giving them the cash.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRuffGunz View Post
    I am the owner of a gas station in schuylkill county and was wondering what the laws were pertaining to defending myself... Due to the 8 robberies in the last few weeks... If I am robbed...If a person/ppl come in says they have a gun and demands cash... Can I kill him if I don't see a weapon? Shoot him in the back when he leaves?? What can and what can I not do?
    If you defend yourself by shooting someone, the only person who can tell you what will happen to you is the county DA, not the members of this forum or any other forum.

Get a damn good lawyer on retainer,just in case.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    If you defend yourself by shooting someone, the only person who can tell you what will happen to you is the county DA, not the members of this forum or any other forum.

Get a damn good lawyer on retainer,just in case.
    ^^^^^^
    The OP needs to contact their lawyer for advice like this in advance of having to use force.

Sorry, but asking for legal advice on something that could land you in jail should be done with a lawyer.

Even if you have to pay one a couple bucks, isn't that worth it considering the options of death or imprisonment?

I understand wanting to help out with advice, and the advice given so far is fine IMO, but still, a business owner needs legal advice from an attorney.
    If he shoots someone, he may be justified in the eyes of the DA, but what about civil matters?
    Say the guy doesn't have a weapon, the owner shoots him, the DA says he's GTG but then along comes a civil suit.
    The guy didn't have a weapon so would the owner be covered under the "Castle Doctrine"?

See? Talk to a lawyer OP.

(Lehigh County)

Attending Gun Lawyer's seminars would be a good start. Seminar one is a must. Seminar two won't hurt. Seminar three is mostly only beneficial for NFA stuff. They're all well worth the money.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

I thought they caught those guys, according to today's paper. Still in all, it is good to be able to protect yourself. You can't shoot someone for stealing gas, but you can shoot them for putting you in fear for your life or serious injury. Gun Lawyer's seminars are well worth the time and money.

(Allegheny County)

seek the advice of a lawyer, not a bunch of anonymous internet posters.

and on top of that seek out reputable and professional firearms training.

PeteG does a great Q&A session as part of his courses
    www.fireinstitute.org

Quote Originally Posted by MrRuffGunz View Post
    I am the owner of a gas station in schuylkill county and was wondering what the laws were pertaining to defending myself... Due to the 8 robberies in the last few weeks... If I am robbed...If a person/ppl come in says they have a gun and demands cash... Can I kill him if I don't see a weapon? Shoot him in the back when he leaves?? What can and what can I not do?
    Also, you never want to shoot to kill. If you shoot, you do so to stop the threat... however many shots that takes. If the scumbag dies, so be it.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Also, you never want to shoot to kill. If you shoot, you do so to stop the threat... however many shots that takes. If the scumbag dies, so be it.
    Again^^^^^^^^ as HiredGoon pointed out, just the type of wording you use is important.

This is why a lawyer is needed for questions like this.

OP, now you are on record as using the word KILL on a public forum.

See a lawyer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast