Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default It's your duty as a gun owner...

...to welcome all newbies to the world of gun ownership.

Welcome them with open arms and be positive about them and their choice of firearms. Remember, some of us can buy a new $600 gun any time we want. Some folks save up for a year just to buy a $250 gun. These people are proud of their new gun and want to feel equal to everyone else.

By looking down upon these people, we drive them away from these forums. We make them ashamed to been seen on the range, and they quit the sport all together many times. After all, who wants to be seen on the range with a huge chunk of sh*t in their hands?

Today while on the range, I ran across a young man in his early 20's. He was shooting a polymer handgun and looked to be having a good time. When I asked him what he was shooting, his facial expression changed and he bagan to make excuses.

"It's just a cheap junker Taurus 9mm. My wife bought it for me for my birthday last week."

I asked if I could shoot it, and I handed him my Glock G21.

When we finished with one magazine, I handed his gun back and told him "nothing wrong with this gun. Shoots just fine."

I also told him that fit was the important thing, and that Taurus had a history of good customer service, and was a huge supporter of gun rights.

We talked for 20 mins or so, then went our seperate ways.

If I would have bashed his Taurus and told him how much better my Glock was, he might have stopped comming to the range. He already had it in his head that he was shooting a sub- par handgun. BULLSHIT.

We MUST stick together and support each other PERIOD. Tell a newbie he has a good weapon even if you don't feel that way. By doing this you get more avid shooters, more range members, more teachers, instructors, NRA - GOA members...and just might make a few more friends.

Think about it.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: It's your duty as a gun owner...

My philosophy exactly!

Coupla weeks I shall be teaching another Basic Pistol course and find there that praise and encouragement is good including getting folks to do their best with whatever gun they have right now.

We need new blood all the time - and with the right approach we will get them in to the fold.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
    "To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

CombatCarry.com CCW forum

(Allegheny County)

BUCKMARK,

That is a great post. I always try to compliment what guys get in here. I know some of my guys need to save for an extended period of time to get their gun and I also have other guys that are regulars. No matter what it's what they wanted and what they could afford. I really don't care for "Gun Snobs".
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Tioga County)

Buckmark, I wish everybody shared your opinion. I'm a newbie here but I Moderate in one site and a "social" member of another. I can't remember when I bought a gun last. Most of my guns are sporterized milsurps, not sported by me, they were like this when I got them. I also own a GREAT Universal M-1 Carbine too. Most ppl. see my guns and laugh their butts off, but when it comes down to it on the range, I can keep up or sometimes, outshoot them. Hence my former military vocation. Don't ask, don't tell.

When I lived in Columbia Co. I was at a range not far from my former residence. A guy came in and laughed it up about my sported M-1917 Win. contract Enfield, which is a .30-06. He had one of those "new fangled Remchesterby Ultra Belch Fire 9000" rifles with a massive scope, looked almost like the Hubble telescope. I seriously outshot him with my old "boat oar" as he called it. My M-1917 has a Wal-Mart 3x-9x scope, no frills, bells, whistles or accordions attached to it.

I was back at that same range a few weeks later, and lo and behold we met again, he told me he sold that "new" rifle and he picked a sported M-1903 Springfield! We could then relate and we went shot for shot! He was a good man and a good shot, after he "saw the light". I had my M-1917 again, on our second meeting.

Us "ol' farts" with our old "boat oars" can still keep the flame goin' on. I'm from Kentucky, but I reside in Tioga Co. Family reasons and family comes first.

Also, I saw a thread that interested my mind. I found a thread in here that bashed the Universal M-1 Carbine while surfing the net looking for places that might know something about them. I got in touch with the Founder and President of this forum because I had problems registering. First place I went, was that very page that bashed the Universal. I was dignified about it and maybe some folks got a lemon, just like a vehicle. But I still joined up here and love the place so far. Thank you all for making this one of the most friendliest places I have ever seen on the net!

I'm laid off from my foundry job right now, but I got a CDL A class, no sense in frettin'. The forum I Moderate is a slow but nice and laid back place. The other forum has the same Jelsoft format as this one.

If Y'all want to know about my collection, PM me and I'll gladly "walk you through" my collection.
    Last edited by Member0001; March 6th, 2007 at 04:20 AM.
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

The only way the Gov't will get my guns is if they fight me for them.

Wasn't born in P.A., But I am a proud resident now!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    ...to welcome all newbies to the world of gun ownership.

Welcome them with open arms and be positive about them and their choice of firearms. Remember, some of us can buy a new $600 gun any time we want. Some folks save up for a year just to buy a $250 gun. These people are proud of their new gun and want to feel equal to everyone else.

By looking down upon these people, we drive them away from these forums. We make them ashamed to been seen on the range, and they quit the sport all together many times. After all, who wants to be seen on the range with a huge chunk of sh*t in their hands?

Today while on the range, I ran across a young man in his early 20's. He was shooting a polymer handgun and looked to be having a good time. When I asked him what he was shooting, his facial expression changed and he bagan to make excuses.

"It's just a cheap junker Taurus 9mm. My wife bought it for me for my birthday last week."

I asked if I could shoot it, and I handed him my Glock G21.

When we finished with one magazine, I handed his gun back and told him "nothing wrong with this gun. Shoots just fine."

I also told him that fit was the important thing, and that Taurus had a history of good customer service, and was a huge supporter of gun rights.

We talked for 20 mins or so, then went our seperate ways.

If I would have bashed his Taurus and told him how much better my Glock was, he might have stopped comming to the range. He already had it in his head that he was shooting a sub- par handgun. BULLSHIT.

We MUST stick together and support each other PERIOD. Tell a newbie he has a good weapon even if you don't feel that way. By doing this you get more avid shooters, more range members, more teachers, instructors, NRA - GOA members...and just might make a few more friends.

Think about it.
    Excellent post. That attitude and mentality can be carried far beyond the realm of gun ownership

(Berks County)

First gun I bought for myself was a used pawnshop special....whopping $50 JC Higgins pump shotgun. It was 1987 or so and I was 18 and in the Navy.

20 years and many guns later I still have it and it still gets used.

Other than the normal "debates" on the forums on best caliber, best handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc. I won't ever bash anyones personal stash...and If I am ever out shooting and I have the ammo to spare, I usually offer anyone interested to blast away with my stuff.

I have been on forums for years now, New folks are the life blood of our sport and ongoing fight against the anti's.

Many get ticked off at the same old questions over and over again, I try to remember it wasn't all that long ago I couldn't find my ass with both hands and a flashlight either. I hate more than anything when somebody says "thats a stupid question" right out of the gate.

TO ALL NEW GUYS AND GALS, WELCOME! POST AWAY AND ASK QUESTIONS!

My .02
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Westmoreland County)

Encourage and mentor.

I didn't know that my grandfather's old rifle and shotgun were lame until I took them to a gunsmith for the once over twice. He quickly schooled me on the value of the guns (next to nothing) and their desirability (none). Fortunately I'm old enough and could ignore his comments. But if I had been a newbie it might have been enough to keep me off the range because my gear isn't cool. I've seen the same snobbery in Urban Rifle classes where the AR guys look down their noses at the AK guys.

It is this attitude that could eventually lose the cause for us. Cool gear vs. lame gear, IPSC vs. combat shooters, hunting rifles vs. evil black rifles, etc, etc, etc. The Brady Bunch love this when they see it. This is divide and conquer at it's best and we do it for them.

Sometimes it is difficult not to comment when someone comes to the range with a Lorcin Jam-o-matic. But when it quits, help them and encourage them to continue. It is our mandate to encourage and mentor new guys.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Delaware County)

I agree also if we all take the time to introduce ourselves and talk at the range or at shows and help each other, or lend a hand that's what makes us strong, we all have something in common. We all can learn something new no matter how long we been around guns or shooting.

(Chester County)

I have a small firestar in 9mm. Some people would look down onit but I think it is a fine little weapon. Is it like a colt gold cup no way but I paid 265 used many years ago and it is a cool piece. great little pocket gun. I tend not to shoot it much because parts are hard to get. Firestar went under a few years back.

(Washington County)

I remember when I bought my Kimber, one of the salesman came over and was saying what an overpriced piece it was, and kimber didnt make good handguns. So it not just the inexpensive guns that get badmouthed. I still go to that store, but I dont talk to that salesman. He tried to ruin my buying experence, but he could not. I just love that Kimber.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast