Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: DTV Boxes

(Cumberland County)

Default DTV Boxes

Anybody have any recommendations on boxes to upgrade my old tv's to digital since I can't get my wife to spring for a new tv
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: DTV Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    Anybody have any recommendations on boxes to upgrade my old tv's to digital since I can't get my wife to spring for a new tv
    Do you have cable or satellite service now? If so, you do not need to upgrade. If you are using an outside aerial or rabbit ear antennas, then you will need to get a DTV tuner box from Radio Shack or Best Buy. I think there is a $40 coupon you can get from the FCC to help pay for the new DTV box.

(Allegheny County)

We haven't had cable in about seven years and get a decent amount of channels through the old rabbit ears. I got the coupon for the converter and got one at Best Buy. I was a little pissed that the coupon was for $40 and there weren't any converters under $60.

I bought the cheapest one which was Apex brand. It works pretty well and we get a few channels that we didn't before but almost all of them are duplicate-two of everything.

You still have to use the rabbit ears and the picture will still screw up if my neighbors are walking around upstairs. All in all no better with digital.

I have a GE converter box, They are all equal , They will give you more channels , some of these channels will be dedicated to weather or news etc.

I only watch TV for the weather . I got rid of Directtv years ago .

When the TV goes , it will not be replaced , as I would rather go to the movies.

Ed

(Cumberland County)

I have Dish network on my main TV, but the other ones around the house don't. I already ordered 2 coupons, I just wanted to see if anyone had done any research or knew if any of the converters were better than others (features, etc)
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Oakley View Post
    We haven't had cable in about seven years and get a decent amount of channels through the old rabbit ears. I got the coupon for the converter and got one at Best Buy. I was a little pissed that the coupon was for $40 and there weren't any converters under $60.

I bought the cheapest one which was Apex brand. It works pretty well and we get a few channels that we didn't before but almost all of them are duplicate-two of everything.

You still have to use the rabbit ears and the picture will still screw up if my neighbors are walking around upstairs. All in all no better with digital.
    you can get one at wal mart for 9.97 plus coupon. just got one for my motor home.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Oakley View Post

I'm not sure, but I think the duplicates are just the analog channels still being aired. I also believe you need to replace the rabbit ears with an antenna tuned to receive the digital signals.