Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What is the definition of "Weapon"

Ok, so you get pulled over by a cop and after you wind down the window he utters that controversial question; "do you have any weapons in the vehicle?" Various answers to this question has been debated add nauseum on this site, but that's not what I'm interested in. My interest is why are they asking and what is their definition of a "weapon". A far web definition: “weapon” means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use (a) in causing death or injury to any person, or (b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.
    I was driving home today pondering these questions and trying to figure out how I would respond to a officer when asked if I have any weapons in the vehicle. When I do have a firearm in my vehicle I would answer one way, and when I'm not packing I was not sure how I would respond. I may have "other" items in my vehicle that may or may not be construed as weapons. So, in the eyes of the police is a pocket knife deemed a weapon? Or is it a tool unless implemented as a weapon? Is a baseball bat a sporting good until it is used as a weapon? How about a 4-5 cell Mag light flashlight? A tire iron under your seat? A hunting knife in the glove compartment? All these items in my mind are tools until they are implemented as "weapons". So, does a LEO want to know about these items when he asks the "weapons" question, or is he only concerned about firearms? Which leads me into the next question, why do they ask? Is it a concern for their safety? Or is it just a fishing expedition? As I drove home I struggled with a way that I could ask the officer what he meant by "Weapons" without raising his suspicion. I was unsuccessful in my search for a tactful approach.

Hawk,
    Toujours pręt

Default Re: What is the definition of "Weapon"

Yes, officer - I do. My mind.

(Westmoreland County)

I tend to agree with MarcS's position to tell the cop "No, Officer!" when asked. (As long as you don't have anything visible.) They will shine a light in your back seat and such...but they have no reason to search your vehicle unless you are being arrested for something at which point, you had better fess up.

I dunno...I see your point, all the above mentioned items "could be" weapons! Same with a gun...

(Indiana County)

One possible response to "Do you have any weapons in the car?": "Gee, officer, I have no idea. What does your definition of 'weapon' entail?"

I can't stand the madness, police look at everyone like their criminals.

Do you have any weapons? What the hell kind of question is that?

Why officer, do you think I'm going to do something to you?

(Westmoreland County)

Always answer with another question!

Officer: "Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?"
    Me: "Why, what do you need?"

LOL

(Philadelphia County)

I was pulled over today in Philly, 16th and Walnut to be exact. The officer asked for my license, registration and insurance, I handed him my LTCF with the paperwork he asked for. He asked me where my pistol was and I told him, that was the end of it.

I'd rather be honest with them and deal with the situation as it arises, than say no and be charged with some bullshit like obstruction of justice or whatever they come up with.

(Lancaster County)

[QUOTE=sjl127;181550]I can't stand the madness, police look at everyone like their criminals.

Do you have any weapons? What the hell kind of question is that?

Why officer, do you think I'm going to do something to you?[/QUOTi gerss they could count your breath as a weapon.cop:cough cough cough faLLS DEAD DUE TO THE SMELL hhah
    Gott mit uns

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyshooter View Post
    I was pulled over today in Philly, 16th and Walnut to be exact. The officer asked for my license, registration and insurance, I handed him my LTCF with the paperwork he asked for. He asked me where my pistol was and I told him, that was the end of it.

I'd rather be honest with them and deal with the situation as it arises, than say no and be charged with some bullshit like obstruction of justice or whatever they come up with.
    I would have agreed not long ago, but then I read some horror stories, such as the guy in Hawley who had his handgun confiscated and had to hire an attorney to get it back, and cops disarming drivers on the side of the road (not really horrible, but certainly embarrassing and uncomfortable and dangerous). While it is not nice to lie to Police officers it is not a crime. However, the wiseass remarks will arouse the LEO's suspicion and may entitle him to pat the driver down or investigate further. I am still not sure what I would say, prolly just "no".

If I whack you repeatedly with my snow brush I have committed a crime and will be charged with "possession of an instrument of crime."
    So I don't care what you have if you plan on using it to commit crime then it's a weapon.
    Other than that it is whatever the object you hold is called. So the answer is always "no."
    Last edited by P89; January 17th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast