Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default .41 mag to .44 mag

Is it possible to convert a Ruger .41 mag to a .44 mag and what do you think the cost would be? Thanks in advance for the advice.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: .41 mag to .44 mag

I dont think it would be a wise move, for the cost you could buy a couple more rugers. Check out ruger forum.com a bunch of us nice guys over there, and ask the same ???? Mtn Jack
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Jefferson County)

Just guessing, but I'd assume the cost of a new barrel and cylinder, plus smithing costs would come close to that of a used whole 44mag.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Blair County)

41 mag is an awsome cartridge. I don't get why you would go backwards.

Bear in mind that statement is biased, I love .41.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

I own both .41 and .44 magnum handguns and if you are not going after something over 500 lbs. I recommend federal cast-cor 250 grain in the .41.It will do just fine if you put the bullet in the right place. .I doubt anything shot would know the difference or be any less dead.
    HISTORY KNOWS NOTHING OF ITS GREATEST MEN

You're not gaining a lot ballisticly going from 41 to 44 and most things hit by a 41 will swear they were hit by a 44. There is a wider variety of factory ammo and components for the 44 though. You need to reload to get the most from a 41 and I'm not talking about rhino roller loads either.

The only way to do the conversion is to send it to Ruger if that's what you want to do. You may do better selling the 41 privately and buying a 44.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    41 mag is an awsome cartridge. I don't get why you would go backwards.

Bear in mind that statement is biased, I love .41.
    Not backwards - sideways maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    You're not gaining a lot ballisticly going from 41 to 44 and most things hit by a 41 will swear they were hit by a 44. There is a wider variety of factory ammo and components for the 44 though. You need to reload to get the most from a 41 and I'm not talking about rhino roller loads either.

The only way to do the conversion is to send it to Ruger if that's what you want to do. You may do better selling the 41 privately and buying a 44.
    That is the reason I asked the question. 41 ammo is limited & the prices are high. Its not shot a lot, but then again, reloading might be the reason to shot it more often. Thanks for the advice.
    Reps + sent.

(Carbon County)

it's possible. Magnaport used to do it to Smith model 58s BLASPHEMY!!! when the .44 mag crazy first hit hard. It was a rebarrel with a factory barrel, and the cyl can actually be machined as far as I understand.

I understand what you are looking at, since .41 mag is often MORE than 44 mag these days. For the cost of any 'process' you could get into reloading, and even start whipping up some .41 special wildcats.