Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will an out of state LTCF cover.

We have a friend who is going to come to Pa. to wait for an organ transplant for his wife. Would he need a LTCF to have guns in his posession.
    Trying to talk him into going ahead an getting it as he will be living in the Philly area.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Will an out of state LTCF cover.

He might not need one, but it can't hurt. An LTCF can make life easier if you're planning on carrying or transporting your guns.

Does he have one from his home state?

If so, this webpage has lots of information about whether that will cover him in PA.
    Last edited by rikilii; October 26th, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Just thought of the requirement to have home state license before applying. He lives in a backwoods area of So. Carolina and is uneasy in the big city, talked about taking his shotgun for hd.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Just thought of the requirement to have home state license before applying. He lives in a backwoods area of So. Carolina and is uneasy in the big city, talked about taking his shotgun for hd.
    he doesn't need anything to bring the shotgun (assuming it is not an NFA short-barreled shotgun which i doubt it is).

just make sure it is unloaded when he is transporting it in his vehicle.

he would need an LTCF or license/permit from a state with which we have reciprocity for handguns, though.
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    he doesn't need anything to bring the shotgun (assuming it is not an NFA short-barreled shotgun which i doubt it is).

just make sure it is unloaded when he is transporting it in his vehicle.

he would need an LTCF or license/permit from a state with which we have reciprocity for handguns, though.
    Thanks
    I will pass the info along.

(Tioga County)

He can transport an unloaded handgun directly to his new place of abode and then directly back out without a LTCF. directly to a range, gunsmith etc. but he can't just keep it in the car. He can't carry it at all in philly.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    He can transport an unloaded handgun directly to his new place of abode and then directly back out without a LTCF. directly to a range, gunsmith etc. but he can't just keep it in the car. He can't carry it at all in philly.
    Just to clarify the comment above as I found it to be confusing.

1. Without a LTCF, he cannot carry the handgun concealed or openly in Philadelphia. However, he CAN carry his loaded handgun OUTSIDE of Philadelphia but it has to be carried openly and while on foot (not inside a vehicle).

2. He is allowed to transport his handgun, unloaded with ammo in a separate container, in a vehicle so long as he goes directly to and from the range. This is true for the entire state of PA, Philadelphia included.

Essentially, the ONLY thing with Philadelphia is that you cannot open carry without a LTCF. All other gun laws work exactly the same as the rest of PA. Best of all, all gun laws are preempted (only the state can pass gun laws); therefore, no local gun ordinance exists legally.

I assume your friend is from Illinois, like you? Illinois is a right-denied state so no one there can get a license to carry. I can't recall so someone help me out here, the OP's friend should be able to apply for a PA LTCF because of this constraint correct?

Al

(Tioga County)

In Pa to qualify for a non resident LTCF you must posses a permit/license from your home state.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

1. Without a LTCF, he cannot carry the handgun concealed or openly in Philadelphia. However, he CAN carry his loaded handgun OUTSIDE of Philadelphia but it has to be carried openly and while on foot (not inside a vehicle).

2. He is allowed to transport his handgun, unloaded with ammo in a separate container, in a vehicle so long as he goes directly to and from the range. This is true for the entire state of PA, Philadelphia included.

Essentially, the ONLY thing with Philadelphia is that you cannot open carry without a LTCF. All other gun laws work exactly the same as the rest of PA. Best of all, all gun laws are preempted (only the state can pass gun laws); therefore, no local gun ordinance exists legally.

I assume your friend is from Illinois, like you? Illinois is a right-denied state so no one there can get a license to carry. I can't recall so someone help me out here, the OP's friend should be able to apply for a PA LTCF because of this constraint correct?

Al
    USNRET '61-'81

(Berks County)

I assume your friend is from Illinois, like you? l
    No, he said his friend is from SC with whom we have no reciprocity. His friend must get a permit/license(whatever they issue down there ) and then apply for a non resident LTCF, OCing is not an option as his friend will be living in Philly.

1. Without a LTCF, he cannot carry the handgun concealed or openly in I assume your friend is from Illinois, like you? Illinois is a right-denied state so no one there can get a license to carry. I can't recall so someone help me out here, the OP's friend should be able to apply for a PA LTCF because of this constraint correct?

Al
    As mentioned he is not from Illinois if he was the out of state carry would be available. Both my wife and I have had our PA. carry for several years thanks to those of you on this forum.
    We passed on the wisdom from all. He will try to get his home state carry and then apply for PA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast