Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How many magazines ?

Howdy everyone,

I always see everyone talking about needing to buy more magazines, but never really any specific numbers, so I'm just wondering how many do people actually have, and perhaps why that number ?

I don't really have any hi-cap rifles etc, so I'm not familiar with any of that, I was mainly just curious, not trying to offend anyone.

For example I've read things on various sites about, having up to 30 mags per type of rifle, and that seems like it would be a lot to me ?

I understand that especially right now, there is a lot of concern about future availability, and the need down the road in case some break etc.

But then I think about for example, soldiers in Iraq, surely they don't carry around 30 mags with them, or do they ?

I'm pretty ignorant on all of the hi-cap mag stuff, so I was honestly just wondering how many mags people buy, and why.

Look forward to your replies !

JQ

Default Re: How many magazines ?

The standard load out for many "operators" is a chest rig with 8 mags in it (that's 240) plus one in the gun (270) and if you have a cinched mag or a redi mag that's 300...it's a lot.

One of the mil guys can chime in on what they carried around.

Can never have too many mags.

I have about 15 for the AR with 10 more coming, and 5 for the pistol with 2 more coming. I have 2 AR's though, and soon to be a third.

(Allegheny County)

When I was a kid, you could buy Swedish Fish for 1¢ each at the corner store.
    If I got a dollar in a birthday card, I'd buy 100 fish.

I didn't "need" 100 sweet, red, tasty fishes, but if I had the money to get 100 of them, I got them, because you never knew when mom would say "No more buying candy with that money!"

Same with mags.
    I buy them when I can, because there are people hard at work trying to keep me from buying them in the future.

For the AR-15, I have 10 of these:

and 10 of these:

For the AK-47, I have 8 of these:

and 2 of these: (20 rd)

For my Mossberg Plinkster .22, I have 8 of these: (10 rd)

I also buy them because the prices keep going up, and up, and up.
    If I feel I don't need so many of them in the future, I can likely get a LOT more than I paid for them. Even used.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

I have (on backorder for the past 2 months) 6 30rnd. Pmags.
    I plan to but a few 10-20 round mags, then maybe a few more 30, but finishing the rifle is first.

i guess i should mention that i only have a stripped AR-15 lower. stupid obamamania holding my order up *shakes his fist in the air*

(Westmoreland County)

What people fail to understand in regard to all magazines is that they are a disposable item. They are not intended to last forever. You can replace the follower and spring but eventually the mag body itself will wear out or become damaged.

In that context, buy as many as you can reasonably afford.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    What people fail to understand in regard to all magazines is that they are a disposable item. They are not intended to last forever. You can replace the follower and spring but eventually the mag body itself will wear out or become damaged.

In that context, buy as many as you can reasonably afford.
    I agree.

They are treated as disposable gear on the battle field too.

You want as many loaded magazines as you possibly can carry and/or afford. Having a stockpile of loaded mags at ready is blessing in a SHTF situation. No zombie, commie, terrorist, tyrannical government agent, local gang thug, or whoever is going to take a time-out while you recharge your magazines 1 cartridge at a time or 10 at a time from a stripper clip.

Having guns isn't about hunting, collecting, target shooting or status symbol - its about self defense and defense of our country from enemies foreign and domestic. ...which in this day and age, you need to have more ammo than them at hand.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

When i got to ten i felt at ease with my AR.. however 9 of them are pmags and one of them is an aluminum one that came with my bushmaster. My selective OCD has kicked in lately and i really want to get one more pmag to make it an even ten. Eight of my mags are seal in a vacuum sealed bag for "long term" storage in a home made battle pack. I figure two loaded mags with my rifle leaves me enough rounds to fight my way to the mud room (10') to get the other 8. That leaves two out for plinking at the range. As for my pistols i have 5 mags for my M&P and4 mags for my glock 26.

(Lebanon County)

You should have as many mags as you feel you should have. It's that simple.

For most of my semi-rifles my lowest mag count is 5. With my AR I am at 20, my FALs I am at 10 each (total of 20). For my pistols I am at, 4 each with 45s, but for my Walther P-22 I have 2 mags. It's hard for me to keep a high stash of mags for each gun in the collection, but my SHTF rifles/pistols, I am set, but always buying more

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I agree.

They are treated as disposable gear on the battle field too.

You want as many loaded magazines as you possibly can carry and/or afford. Having a stockpile of loaded mags at ready is blessing in a SHTF situation. No zombie, commie, terrorist, tyrannical government agent, local gang thug, or whoever is going to take a time-out while you recharge your magazines 1 cartridge at a time or 10 at a time from a stripper clip.

Having guns isn't about hunting, collecting, target shooting or status symbol - its about self defense and defense of our country from enemies foreign and domestic. ...which in this day and age, you need to have more ammo than them at hand.
    Aye.

Not to mention it makes for less wasted time at the range... which is especially nice in the wintertime, when one gets out of work late and needs to beat sundown, and has a desire not to watch one's fingers fall off.

Now, bear in mind that I own several of each "type" of gun listed, so each mag supply feeds more than one mouth:
    -SKS- 100-ish 10-round stripper clips
    -AK- 30-ish 30-round mags
    -M1 Garand- dozen 6-clip 8-rounds-per-clip bandoliers in cans
    -Kel-Tec Sub-2000/G22/G27- 10-ish 15-rounders
    -Saiga-12- 3 10-rounders, 2 5-rounders
    And there are a few others that I don't shoot often enough to get spare mags for them, or I have yet to find good prices on mags for them.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't have many firearms (2 to be exact and only one of them takes mags) for my Pistol i have (3) 10 rounders (2) 16 rounders and (4) 21 rounders.
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast