Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Lowering the Front Sight

Okay, maybe it should be shaving or filing the front sight... Here's the question. I just picked up a Ruger SP101 in .38 +p. I got a great deal on it, and I know they are solid little guns because I already have another SP101 in 9mm (moon clip gun, Ruger only made 'em for a few years, but I digress). I took it out the range and it is grouping pretty well with the VERY rudimentary sights (u channel in the top strap for the rear sight). Windage is fine, but elevation is another story. At 10-15 yards, it is grouping pretty consistently about 4 or 5 inches low (depending on the bullet and load). I'm going to do a bit more shooting with it as well as have a friend or two try it out, but assuming this holds true, I plan to lower the front sight to bring the shots on target up.

Any recommendations? Anybody have a tried and true method to file the sight or some other technique? I plan on making very slight modifications each time and then range-testing the gun so that I don't go too far. Can this be done at the range? Is there a tool which might make it easier? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Lowering the Front Sight

You could take a battery powered dremel tool with a sanding drum attached to take a little off each time.

That said, I would only do that if I were going to use one type of ammo in the gun EVERY time. Different ammo (manufacturer, bullet weight, etc will all shoot to different POI with the sights held the same way each time). So you can bring the front sight down to raise the POI for a particular brand/type of ammo and then experiment to see where the POI is for different ammo.

OR, test various types before you do any mods to see what you want to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

(Adams County)

Xring, appreciate the comments. Yeah, I tried a number of loads and plan to try a few more. At this point, all the loads (fmj, semi-wadcutter, jhp +p, various bullet weights, manufacturers and reloads) have grouped 4-5 inches low, but I plan at least one more trip to the range with a few more loads before I do any filing. I thought maybe Ruger took the same tack as Colt did with the single actions in cowboy days. At least as I have heard, Colt would put a front sight on the gun that was intentionally high, so the shooter could remove the correct amount and file/dial in the elevation. Makes sense in a way. It's a whole lot easier to remove metal than to add it.

Patriot, thanks for the recommendation on the file.

(Allegheny County)

I'd use the file too. It is easier for me to keep it level and square and not take off too much at a time.
    The Lord Bless You