Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M44

(Erie County)

Default M44

Just finished cleaning up another curio .. good shooting gun... quite the kicker
    "We The People..."

(Huntingdon County)

Default Re: M44

Good choice, the M44's are a blast to shoot...literally.
    The rearsenaled, matching, post WWII ones are a real bargain. Have fun.
    Hombre

Badges?.......We don't have no stinkin' badges!

(Chester County)

I had purchased one from JG Sales, but I canceled the order.

Gun Gallery in Reading has a back room filled with Mosins - 91/30s, M44s, M38s. I'm going to pick up an M38, because that is what I really wanted but passed on because I couldn't find one cheap enough on GunBroker. I like the size of the M44, but the bayonet drives me crazy. I'm really anal/neurotic, and I hate that extra piece of medal which ruins the symmetry.

(York County)

I have a couple. Nice dual purpose guns. Fix bayonet, attach hot dog, and cook lunch while you shoot. Go to the range right before it closes and watch everything light up.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropophagus View Post
    I had purchased one from JG Sales, but I canceled the order.

Gun Gallery in Reading has a back room filled with Mosins - 91/30s, M44s, M38s. I'm going to pick up an M38, because that is what I really wanted but passed on because I couldn't find one cheap enough on GunBroker. I like the size of the M44, but the bayonet drives me crazy. I'm really anal/neurotic, and I hate that extra piece of medal which ruins the symmetry.

Hey Anthropophagus can you tell me how to get to gun gallery? i am interested in picking up a M38 i have 5 mosins already 2 M44, 1 M91/39, 1 M39 Fin, and, 1 Sporter M38, but i am thinking about picking up a Original M38.
    oh can you tell me what their prices are like and if they have any laminated stock m38

thank you
    Is not safe. Is gun

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mauler88 View Post
    Hey Anthropophagus can you tell me how to get to gun gallery? i am interested in picking up a M38 i have 5 mosins already 2 M44, 1 M91/39, 1 M39 Fin, and, 1 Sporter M38, but i am thinking about picking up a Original M38.
    oh can you tell me what their prices are like and if they have any laminated stock m38

thank you
    I'm not too familiar with Reading, since I live in Glenmoore area. But, it's on Perkiomen Ave. I took the turnpike from the Rt 100 ramp to get there. Don't hold me to this, but here is a rough idea- take the Turnpike toward Harrisburg from the Rt 100 ramp, stay on that for 14 miles, take Exit 298/Morgantown, stay on that for 12 miles, take Exit 11A/Pottstown (I think), then quickly take the Mt Penn exit. After that, you're basically there. You're better off checking www.mapquest.com using the following address:

2807 PERKIOMEN AVE
    READING, PA 19606

The prices were a bit higher than I liked. M44s, for instance, cost about $80 on the internet (laminated stock) and Gun Gallery was selling hardwood stock M44s for $150+. I think the M38s were around $250+. Nothing TOO expensive.

I've decided to just pick up the Mauser HSc they had for sale. I drove all the way out there today (Monday) only to find out that they're closed on Sunday and Monday. 45 minutes wasted. I'm gonna go back tomorrow.
    Last edited by Anthropophagus; March 17th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.

(Chester County)

cool thanks $250 for M38 is a bit too much for me. let me know what they charge for the Mausers. thanks
    Is not safe. Is gun

(Allegheny County)

Before you buy do some heavy research into the dozens of variations of the Mosin Nagants. I did, and decided not to buy one at all, even thought the price is right and the ammo is cheap. My research proved to me that most of the models were lacking in true accuracy especially the shorter M38's and M44's. The M44 was made to shoot with the bayonet extended and if shot with it collapsed it could be 3 ft off at 100 yards. I have since researched the Mauser line and probably will go that route unless I can find a decent Springfield 1903A3 for a good price (these are very accurate). I reasoned that 8mm and 30.06 ammo was going to be more expensive, but I figured how much ammo am I going to go through in a year with a bolt action rifle? Spend a little more on your choice and you will be happier with a better vintage rifle.
    Toujours prêt

(Huntingdon County)

Building on what Hawk said; true the M44's and M38's normally aren't as accurate as some other mil-surps, but the price is sure right compared to all of them.
    If you're looking for great accuracy in a unique, reasonably priced old warhorse, check out the Swiss K31 carbine. Most have great bores, probably because the Swiss only used non corrosive ammo.
    Hombre

Badges?.......We don't have no stinkin' badges!

I've shot 91/30s, M44s and M38s. I've found the M38 was the most accurate, the M44 was the least accurate. But, in all fairness the difference was small, no more than a inch or so at 50 to 100 yards. Again, this is strictly empirical data.

FWIW, I have a line on a few laminated M38 carbines, most with M44 stocks a few with M38 stocks. For anyone in the market for an M38, PM me for details.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast