Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Person shoots self at AZ gun show

I searched, and didn't see it posted here already...

http://www.kpho.com/news/21126380/detail.html

Bullet Grazes Woman At Mesa Gun Show
    Attendee Suffers Superficial Wounds To Her Neck

MESA, Ariz. -- A woman was grazed in the neck by a stray bullet fired at a gun show in Mesa and police are trying to figure out where the shot came from.

One of the dealers at the show had a loaded gun under his table, said Bob Templeton of Crossroads of the West Gun Shows.

A woman saw the weapon, picked it up and it went off, Templeton said.

The bullet grazed her neck, police said. The vendor could face a charge of reckless discharge and banned from any future shows sponsored by Crossroads.

"Several people said something unkind to him," Templeton said. "It was a blatant disregard of the personal safety of the people at the show."

Joe DeSantis said he has been attending gun shows for years and this was the first time he's ever heard of a gun accidentally off.

He said most people know the rules before they enter the show.

"The first rule is the gun is always loaded even if you think it's not," DeSantis said. "The only way you know it's not loaded is when it's broken down." By that he meant there are no bullets in the gun.

The woman suffered superficial injuries and is expected to be OK.
    What I don't understand is why anyone would pick up a gun (without checking it is loaded) and point it at themself (!), then handle it in a way that would make it go off.
    Last edited by MTechnik; September 30th, 2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: now with linky goodness!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Person shoots self at AZ gun show

Thinning of the herd ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I searched, and didn't see it posted here already...

http://www.kpho.com/news/21126380/detail.html

What I don't understand is why anyone would pick up a gun (without checking it is loaded) and point it at themself (!), then handle it in a way that would make it go off.
    Some people are not trained properly and/or are simply careless.

(Jefferson County)

Before all the high 'n mighties come out, I can see how this could happen..

You go to a gunshow assuming the displayed guns are unloaded - WHICH THEY SHOULD BE. You then turn the gun to inspect the muzzle and crown. Somehow you either move the trigger or cock the hammer back just enough, but not catching a detent, and letting it slip.

Sure, you should check if every gun is unloaded before handling it. ...just like you should walk around your car to check if your lights work before operating it, but I bet very few of you all even do that once a month. But there is a fair and honest presumption that guns on display at a gunshow would be unloaded, so... I'm siding with the lady.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Thinning of the herd ...
    If only...
    A woman saw the weapon, picked it up and pulled the trigger without clearing the chamger Templeton said.
    Fixed for reality. It's the woman's fault, not the gun's fault.

The bullet grazed her neck, police said. The vendor could face a charge of reckless discharge and banned from any future shows sponsored by Crossroads.
    This is just ridiculous. He didn't hand a loaded weapon to her, she took it upon herself to go under his table and pick it up. Her fault, 100%. Maybe 90%, if he was leaving his table he probably should have taken it with him or locked it up, but that's purely subjective.

Joe DeSantis said he has been attending gun shows for years and this was the first time he's ever heard of a gun negligently going off.
    Again, fixed to reflect reality.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

You go to a gunshow assuming the displayed guns are unloaded - WHICH THEY SHOULD BE. You then turn the gun to inspect the muzzle and crown. Somehow you either move the trigger or cock the hammer back just enough, but not catching a detent, and letting it slip.
    Sure, except the article said the gun was under his table, not on display. If it was on display, I'd certainly agree with you. Under his table implies, to me, that it was not a show piece.

/high and mighty.
    Last edited by FormerUser123; October 1st, 2009 at 09:09 AM.

(Monroe County)

A woman saw the weapon, picked it up and it went off, Templeton said.
    What woman? Was she a dealer and if not what was she doing behind the table. Was this woman trying to steal the gun? Why was a loaded gun lying around anyway. What asshat leaves a loaded gun lying around anywhere let alone a public place?

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY DID SHE PUT HER FINGER ON THE TRIGGER OF A FIREARM SHE DIDN'T KNOW WAS LOADED OR NOT? Guns just don't go "OFF" they need someone to activate them.

(Chester County)

Never assume a gun is unloaded
    never point it at something unless you want to shoot that thing, and everything behind it
    don't pull the trigger unless you're really ready for the results

three cardinal rules broken in what is probably a three second window.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I can see how it could happen too. You grow used to guns, so you become careless. Then you do something really stupid like ASSume a gun is unloaded, point it at yourself and pull the trigger.

Sure, you should check if every gun is unloaded before handling it. ...just like you should walk around your car to check if your lights work before operating it, but I bet very few of you all even do that once a month. But there is a fair and honest presumption that guns on display at a gunshow would be unloaded, so... I'm siding with the lady.
    The difference is obvious to anyone with half a brain. Pointing a loaded gun at yourself and pulling the trigger is going to have painful consequences 99.99% of the time. Driving with one headlight, probably not so much.

And in my opinion, people who assume guns are unloaded - EVER - should not be attending gun shows, much less handling guns. You've lost your respect for a potentially deadly tool, and your lack of respect endangers not only your life, but the lives of everyone around you.

(Washington County)

You guys dont check to see if it is loaded by pointing it at your face and pulling the trigger?

(Monroe County)

Maybe she was trying to commit suicide and just changed her mind at the last second...
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast