Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default About the happiest I've ever been that I've been armed

So, yesterday arrived my new Maxpedition Remora. I've configured the bag some and wanted to give it a nice 10 mile test in the woods.

I go up into the mountains just east of Waynesboro. Primitive shelter making, fire making, nice bag all in all.

Then, as we're walking out, I decide to cut over the pipeline rather than take the switchback.

And there, before us...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Yessir! Mister or Missus Black Bear himself! Now, I've spent loads of time in the Rockies backcountry so I'm familiar with bears and etiquette. Still, seeing a bear in an area like this, where you usually wouldn't expect one, gets the adrenaline working.

I immediately grabbed my camera and took that one blurry shot. Sorry guys, I wish it'd been more clear! S/he got startled and ran off, we followed slowly trying to get more pictures, but s/he had vanished.

At the end, all I could think of was how quickly a rather pleasant animal encounter could have turned very dangerous or at least fatal. Had that occured, I would have had my sidearm, openly carried, round in chamber, ready to rock and roll.

So, I'm really just trying to fit the story of I SAW A BEAR into this forum, fortunatly I did have a gun with me.

I'm going back Monday to look for some more sign. I found a pile of bear scat but the light was too low to really do any photographing. Maybe Tuesday I'll get some better pictures.

Regards,
    tJg

Default Re: About the happiest I've ever been that I've been armed

Nice! I have walked up on one at night and had no clue! This was in a park in DC... Pitch black and I had no light... All of a sudden stones kick up next to me and something took off in the woods crashing into every tree on its way... I know deer when they run and I never heard this much noise before... So basically I walked within spitting distance of a bear and did not even know it! Glad your encounter went well!
    ΑΣΦ

(Allegheny County)

the big bruin i have hanging on my wall took three hits from my .300 win mag before going down. first two shots were perfect behind the shoulder/boiler room at 45 yards. second shot also hit the spine with the extreme uphill angle i was shooting. third shot was 10" from the muzzle as he came at me. he had covered the 45 yards in the time it took me to work the bolt on my Winchester M70. last memory i have of himm alive is with his mouth open, teeth out and claws out coming at me. the muzzle blast sent him another 400 yards over the mountian.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Clarion County)

WOW DUDE ! I been trying to get a bear pic for over 40 years .Still don't got one . They show up at the darnest times and I'm never ready , (damn)
    You got to love it , good pic all the same . I am a serious nature junkie and love everything about it except humidity . Pack on Bro , pack on !!

(Berks County)

Be glad it didn't come at you. I'd be willing to bet whatever pistol you were carrying wouldn't have saved you from a bear intent on killing you. People carry .454's and .500 S&W Magnums for bear guns and even then would be better off with a rifle.

(Northampton County)

http://www.rakkav.com/greendoor/pages/trivia.htm

I've seen this bear in person, and IIRC (going back 20 years), it was taken with a single .50 caliber musket ball while charging the shooter. One lucky SOB. I think I have pics of the bear and the description but it would take me a week to find.

(Delaware County)

Bears are nothing but mindless killing machines... At least according to Steven Colbert.