Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Harrisburg Lobbying Day

Hey Guys,
    I'm sorry I didn't make it; didn't get the information I needed in enough time. However, I just wondered how it went today? Did you get any positive feedback or any other good news? Any bad? Was the press there? Etc....

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Harrisburg Lobbying Day

It went well enough. We did not get the large turn out we had hoped for. I guess gun rights are not worth the effort.

We did not have the crowd to gather on the steps. At first I could not find anyone so I went to my rep's rather than waste my trip. When I was about to leave I found the group. We had about four groups of about six people.

But remember, it is only gun rights. Not anything worth standing up for. We can always gather in the bars and cry in our beers.

We did manage to corner a few reps for a talking to.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    It went well enough. We did not get the large turn out we had hoped for. I guess gun rights are not worth the effort.

We did not have the crowd to gather on the steps. At first I could not find anyone so I went to my rep's rather than waste my trip. When I was about to leave I found the group. We had about four groups of about six people.

But remember, it is only gun rights. Not anything worth standing up for. We can always gather in the bars and cry in our beers.

We did manage to corner a few reps for a talking to.

Glad you did get to talk to some reps. But...as stated in the other thread, this date was just impractical for some people with work schedules. I am glad you could go, and I am sorry I could not.

(Franklin County)

I went to the event too. As Siobhra mentioned, I was disappointed with the turnout. I also thought that things were a bit disorganized and we lost almost an hour right at the beginning getting a game plan in place. (This statement really isn't meant as a personal criticism towards the organizers, as it seemed the bulk of the prep had been carried by one or two people.) To me, this was precious time, since we lost a couple of hours in the middle of the day while they were in session, and by 3:00 pm, folks had to get back on the bus to head home.

Also, of those who did show up, some dropped out quickly. My group started with six people. After visiting just two offices, two of our people simply disappeared. One of them did have a cane and seemed to have some difficulty walking, but they just disappeared without a word of why. I also noticed that a couple of groups said their goodbyes at lunchtime, and didn't stick around for any additional meetings in the afternoon.

I was fortunate enough get to personally speak with about 6-8 Senators/Representatives, including some Democrats who support our cause.

I do understand no date is perfect for anyone, but I do wonder what line will have to be crossed before it's worth personal sacrifice to fight for our eroding rights? There are currently forty-five pieces of legislation pending that impact our 2a rights.

I also noticed that the average age of those turning out seemed very close to retirement age, and (at least in my group) the 'Sportsman' angle was used heavily by both those I was with and the Congresspeople we spoke to. It's almost as if handguns and deadly force were taboo subjects. I know in my own area, if I OC'd to the local Sportsman's Club for an even open to the public, I'd get the 'hairy eyeball'.

My own area legislators are known to be pro-gun, but I'm looking forward to being able to sit down with them one on one and discuss handguns, carrying for self-defense and use of deadly force, instead of hearing how they've hunted for years and how many long guns they have. I have no issue with hunters, and just this year purchased my first license because my son is interested; but, in the grand scheme of things, my personal concerns lie more towards the everyday carrying of handguns and not being restricted in doing so or unfairly penalized should I ever need to use one in self defense.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

I think it was mainly timing, anything going on this time of the year is harsh.

I couldn't go, it was plain and simple, nobody could switch with me, and if I didn't show up, I lost my job.

I find it's a lot easier to get off in the summer, when there's more workers from college.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    I think it was mainly timing, anything going on this time of the year is harsh.

I couldn't go, it was plain and simple, nobody could switch with me, and if I didn't show up, I lost my job.

I find it's a lot easier to get off in the summer, when there's more workers from college.
    Not only that......the two week notice really did not allow time for organizing. Especially at our club where the notice came after our monthly meeting. I do applaud and thank those that were able to attend.

(Montgomery County)

I have been part of hundreds of demonstrations. I have been in on the training sessions of dozens of them. The demonstrations that make it to the news have a core group of really dedicated people. They study and learn how to work a room or a camera.

For next year plan on two of your vacation days to be spent going to a demonstration. Set them aside now for then. That is how I do it. Our demonstrations must be on weekdays because that is when they are there. Walking from one closed office to another is really a waste of time.

We need to get leaders together to plan these things out better. And to teach others.

BRING THE KIDS. Yes, your kids or grand kids. Your children will love the trip to the capital to see our congress in action. And the reps love to be seen with kids. "Can I have a picture of my grand-kids with you". Oh, while I am here can I mention .....

Show diversity. They really love that. Try to have a woman, a black, a Hispanic and a gay if you can. They think we are all old, white men who drive trucks and spit. Show them that we cross all divides. You can't believe how many minds you can open that way.

Dress up. Coat and tie for the men or office casual. Skirt, dress on nice pants suit for the woman. Educated people have smart things to say. Slobs are dumb.

One date. Both demonstrations this year had a 'mistake'. First one date then another. Sorry that was a mistake here is the true date is hard to say to a boss.

(York County)

All good points, Siobhra!

Also, take this to your gunshops, ranges, churches what have you. The more folks that attend, the more clout we show...and that's important.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I have been part of hundreds of demonstrations. I have been in on the training sessions of dozens of them. The demonstrations that make it to the news have a core group of really dedicated people. They study and learn how to work a room or a camera.

For next year plan on two of your vacation days to be spent going to a demonstration. Set them aside now for then. That is how I do it. Our demonstrations must be on weekdays because that is when they are there. Walking from one closed office to another is really a waste of time.

We need to get leaders together to plan these things out better. And to teach others.

BRING THE KIDS. Yes, your kids or grand kids. Your children will love the trip to the capital to see our congress in action. And the reps love to be seen with kids. "Can I have a picture of my grand-kids with you". Oh, while I am here can I mention .....

Show diversity. They really love that. Try to have a woman, a black, a Hispanic and a gay if you can. They think we are all old, white men who drive trucks and spit. Show them that we cross all divides. You can't believe how many minds you can open that way.

Dress up. Coat and tie for the men or office casual. Skirt, dress on nice pants suit for the woman. Educated people have smart things to say. Slobs are dumb.

One date. Both demonstrations this year had a 'mistake'. First one date then another. Sorry that was a mistake here is the true date is hard to say to a boss.
    I did show up for the demonstration and was disappointed also by the turnout; I have noticed that a lot of people talk a big game on the internet but when it comes time to act they are no where to be seen.

There is no way I would bring my grandkids, or kids, or wife unless they wanted to go. My kids & grandkids have been to DC on many occassions.

But from the tone of this post I guess I'm not the type of person that is wanted at these types of demonstrations. I am an old (over 60), white man, Nam draftee, retired teamster, who works full time now as a state employee. I drive a truck, spit, pay my bills, my home is paid for. I don't own a suit or tie (don't intended to buy one), I am comfortable in Wranglers (I darn well wear I choose!!!). If I'm not good enough to be part of your demonstration so be it.

I might be a slob but I'm sure as hell not dumb. On the second thought maybe I'm dumb wanting to standup and be counted.

Rant off

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Northumberland County)

This "march" just isn't organized well.

I stated I went to the last one, and was turned away at the door of the capital because there were no facilities to check my firearm. Someone mentioned that there is a special entrance that has facilities, but I don't know which entrance that is.

With the exception of the group that comes from western PA that is organized the rest of us have so little information as to make this trip a crapshoot.

There needs to be a designated time and place outside the capital building for the pro gun group to meet up and then enter together, preferably at the entrance where you can check firearms...

Information needs to be distributed further in advance, so that as many people as possible can rearrange their schedules. And it helps if we have an actual agenda rather than just march to the capitol to talk with our legislators. It needs to be more of an actual rally preferably with speakers (who will entice more people to come).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast