Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default LTCF after Pardon

Hello, I recently received a pardon signed by Governor Shapiro on April 26th. The pardon was for a non violent M1 from 2000. No other police contact since, and no other disqualifying events on my record. I applied with the local sheriff for an LTCF yesterday 5/13, and was denied by PICS. I've already sent the challenge. I assume the denial is because PICS hasn't been updated to reflect the pardon yet. Pretty much just looking for reassurance that this is nothing to worry about, and it will all be cleared up through the challenge process. Any advice, or anecdote from people with experience in similar situations would be welcome.

Default Re: LTCF after Pardon

Now you need to pay a lawyer to remove it from the system.
    FJB

Not personal experience, but a friend received a felony conviction for drugs around 2000, got his pardon a few years ago, and got a gun about a year later and PICS cleared fine. Maybe it takes time to circulate the system?
    iAnal

(Lancaster County)

Expungements are supposed to be automatic now with the new clean slate law, just takes many months. No need to pay a lawyer unless that falls through.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks, that's my assumption. I figured I would go the license route first instead of standing in a gun shop to get denied since I can do it online.

(Berks County)

It sounds like you know the laws on it and you have filed the challenge so it sounds like you just need to wait on their response. Please update this when you get some answers, it could be good info for the next guy.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It sounds like you know the laws on it and you have filed the challenge so it sounds like you just need to wait on their response. Please update this when you get some answers, it could be good info for the next guy.
    I'll certainly update the thread, thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Often an expungement is needed after the pardon is granted to clean up the record.

The pardon forgives the conviction. The expungement wipes away the record of the conviction.

The expungement isn't necessary, but it helps eliminate the need to appeal when the system still sees the conviction(regardless as to whether it was pardoned).

Note: The FBI doesn't fully wipe away that record, they just mark it as having been pardoned and/or expunged. ...it is still in their records.

Since it appears that you didn't do the expungement, you would need to appeal the denial and provide proof that your conviction was pardoned. Had you expunged it, and waited a few weeks for that record to get cleaned up, the initial application probably would have went thru without a denial.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Since it appears that you didn't do the expungement, you would need to appeal the denial and provide proof that your conviction was pardoned. Had you expunged it, and waited a few weeks for that record to get cleaned up, the initial application probably would have went thru without a denial.
    I thought about collecting my records from the PSP repository, and filing the expungement with the clerk of courts, but I'm not sure there would be any benefit from going that route. I've asked the clerk of courts if they had any knowledge of how the new Clean Slate 3.0 will work regarding the automatic expungements, but they said they were still researching. I guess it's too early to see how it will work in practice. My understanding is that the board of pardons will notify the AOPC quarterly of issued pardons, who will in turn notify the court where the conviction occurred. How long that takes is yet to be seen, but my guess is not much longer than if I filed it myself. Either way, as far as my understanding goes, I'm not violating any laws by applying, I'll just need to jump through some hoops. Just make me nervous that I'm missing something in the law that I haven't taken into consideration.

(Lancaster County)

Update, the PSP firearms division received my challenge form on May 17th, and issued a reversal on the same day. I received the reversal letter in the mail today. Resent my LTCF application this evening with a copy of the reversal letter. Hopefully Tuesday I'll get some good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast