Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Over thinking my shots?

Years ago I was shooting my hand guns on a weekly basis. I have never been a great shot but was able to get ok groups. Last few years I have not been shooting as much as I would like and my accuracy has suffered. Here is the weird thing... if I take my time on every shot my groups are horrible. If I however just aim a shoot and rush it a bit my groups tend to be better. Makes me think I am over thinking my trigger pull or something.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Over thinking my shots?

What guns are you shooting?

What ammo?

What distance?

Remarkably, some "double-taps" can be more accurate than what you are used to shooting.

Just like a golf swing, if you worry about everything, your distance off the tee and your score may look like hell.

So, maybe get down to the basics? Thinking sight picture, trigger pressure, and follow-through.

Used to go to the range and with a Ruger MK III in .22, fired off 8 mags (80 rounds) before I brought out other pistols. If I couldn't hit a target with reasonable groups with a .22 at 15 yds, what hope would I have in hitting it with a .45?

Did this religiously for months and gradually, everything transferred over.

Take your time, and practice. Doesn't necessarily have to be at the range. Put up some "stickies" across the basement and think "Sight picture, trigger pressure, & follow-through." Do it 10x in sets of ten, 3-5x per week. You'll be amazed at how well your shooting improved....
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

Muscle fatuge? Is the gun getting too heavy? Try some dry firing. Have your eyes gotten old? It's hard to tell from a computer what your problem is. Over thinking sounds odd to me.

(Allegheny County)

Watch this!

Toujours prêt

(York County)

As someone said, there's a lot of parallels to golf-swing. It's mental. I find it's more about 'feel' than 'thought'. If I'm comfortable, in the zone, and relaxed I shoot better than when I try to think about it and 'focus'...

I typically shoot better one-hand than both-hands (for shorter-range pistol I mean). Counterintuitive, but I'm just more comfortable one-handing. I also typically shoot better when going relatively quickly (like 1 sec per shot) versus a "measured" approach where I "take my time" with each shot. I think that's because shooting faster prevents you over-thinking it. You KNOW you don't have time to think.

Muscle-memory plays a part too. If you're shooting regularly enough for muscle-memory to kick in, you'll always be better going "intuitive" than over-thinking it. You "thought it" in those earlier weeks of practice, now just do your thing.
    DGAF

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    Years ago I was shooting my hand guns on a weekly basis. I have never been a great shot but was able to get ok groups. Last few years I have not been shooting as much as I would like and my accuracy has suffered. Here is the weird thing... if I take my time on every shot my groups are horrible. If I however just aim a shoot and rush it a bit my groups tend to be better. Makes me think I am over thinking my trigger pull or something.
    You have your own answer.
    Yes it's a skill that can you can lose.
    2nd shooting 101- the shot should be a surprise.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

without seeing you shoot, or your targets, it's hard to say.

a few of the variables involved were brought up. ammo inconsistencies can gum up the works quicker than stink. cheaper usually means worse. not always, but often.

I tried shooting with a nicotine patch on once. you'd have sworn stevie wonder was on the trigger.

did you skip breakfast? that blood sugar crash will make you shake...so long groups. won't happen if you're jittery.

gun maintained? are you consistent with the grip? are you gripping correctly? breathing right? there are a lot of variables that we all forget.

what equals a bad group? pie plate? off the paper? occasional flier?

not dogging you. we have all been there. you will second guess everything. and rushing won't help. you will have days that you just can't hit for shit. it's reality.

sometimes, get yourself back in the basics before you even chamber a round. you may see the problem, that may have been staring at you the entire time. and, it could be the most simple thing.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.