Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Thinking of turning my AR-10 carbine into a precision shooter...need advice

Like the title says, I want to turn my Armalite AR-10 Carbine into a long range precision shooter.

The basics of what I want to do are put a 10x scope on it, replace the adjustable butt stock to a Magpul PRS, replace the 16" barrel with a 20" heavy barrel, and put a free float quad rail on it for mounting a bipod.

Everything I want to do, I understand pretty clearly; however, replacing the barrel has me a bit confused. I've never swapped out a barrel - especially to one with a longer length, and I'm not exactly sure what I need to make the conversion. I suppose I could just buy a new upper with the 20" barrel, so it would be easy to convert back to a carbine if I so choose, but the price difference is about $500 more than just buying a barrel.

This is the barrel I'd like to use, but again, I have no idea what parts I'll need to make the swap. Any help would be appreciated.

Proud member of:

(York County)

Default Re: Thinking of turning my AR-10 carbine into a precision shooter...need advice

Try this link:
    AR15.com

I'm sure you'll find your answer there...
    Those guys are pretty hardcore and there are some serious assholes posting there, so have a thick skin.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Thinking of turning my AR-10 carbine into a precision shooter...need advice

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Try this link:
    AR15.com

I'm sure you'll find your answer there...
    Those guys are pretty hardcore and there are some serious assholes posting there, so have a thick skin.
    I thought about doing that, but I try to avoid that site at all costs. I'm sure my question has been asked several times and I'd catch some flack for it.

Proud member of:

IMHO.. Keep the 16" and just free float it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    IMHO.. Keep the 16" and just free float it.
    I suppose I could do that. I don't see myself ever shooting beyond a few hundred yards, so there probably wouldn't be a huge difference between barrels. It would definitely save me a lot of cash scrapping the barrel swap idea.

Also, after doing a rough estimate of what this build would cost, I could go buy a brand new Remington 700P and optics, and probably have a more accurate rifle, and still fall below what I'd be paying to do a complete build on the AR-10.

Decisions decisions...

Proud member of:

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I suppose I could do that. I don't see myself ever shooting beyond a few hundred yards, so there probably wouldn't be a huge difference between barrels.

Decisions decisions...
    You are correct for shorter range(under 300 yds)there will not be alot of difference. Going to a longer barrel does not mean you'll instantly have a more accurate rifle.Free float the one you have and shoot good quality ammo or reloads and you'll be further ahead of the game.

Tim

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    You are correct for shorter range(under 300 yds)there will not be alot of difference. Going to a longer barrel does not mean you'll instantly have a more accurate rifle.Free float the one you have and shoot good quality ammo or reloads and you'll be further ahead of the game.

Tim
    That's probably what I'll do for that then. I'd like to shoot longer distances (500+yds), but around here, I don't know of any ranges that go beyond 200, so I'll probably be better off putting that money into something else.

Proud member of:

(Lebanon County)

Is your 16" a heavy barrel? I'm assuming it isn't but I wanted ask first. The reason I ask is because if you get serious about tack driving, your barrel is going to heat a lot faster which could lead to stringing. Try space your shots out to keep your barrel temp down.

Hard to do with a Semi, especially one in 308.

And the other question I had was twist rate? Do you know twist on your 16"?

I to believe as long as the shooter does their part, you can gain tons of accuracy on the reloading bench. So IMO this isn't a bad idea, just details.

(Pike County)

If you are not sure how to switch out the barrel you eather need to get some training or go to someone woh is certified with the AR. if you do do it yourself. I suggest you aquire a good tourque wrench. Good luck with the work. If you get stimped or need help I will try and talk you through it. Or you can send it to Me or somone who you know to be good in this area.
    Gunfixer199
    Buchanan Gunsmithing 866-562-2520

(Montgomery County)

You might want to talk to Dave Donley up in Quakertown (215-529-6578) He does a lot of AR work. FYI the have moved around the corner from their old location but have not yet updated their website with the new address.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast