Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: cb radio?

(Lancaster County)

Default cb radio?

I didn't want to resurrect an old thread. Anyone familiar with these? Where i'm at often there's no cell coverage except for one 10'x10' spot known as "the phone booth", and i'm wondering if this would be an option in an emergency. Depending on what you read it seems 4 miles or 10 mile range line of sight. Thanks in advance

Default Re: cb radio?

Have you ever given thought to Amateur Radio? Or, at least getting a GMRS license?

GMRS allows you to use the high-power channels available on most GMRS/FRS combo radios.

The local propagation on GMRS frequencies is far better than on CB. CB uses AM at 27MHz, which requires much larger antennas to work efficiently.

GMRS is up in the 100's of MHz, requiring smaller antennas, and propagating better over local terrain. It also uses FM modulation, which is much more immune to interference than AM.

If you were to get an Amateur Radio license, you'd have a wide array of VHF and UHF bands available to you. It's a pretty easy test to pass, and you can get the book cheap at amazon.com:

(Lancaster County)

Isn't this the same as the one's i'd use for hunting FRS/GRMS?

Are they monitored at all by anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by heating8 View Post
    Isn't this the same as the one's i'd use for hunting FRS/GRMS?

Are they monitored at all by anyone?
    Yeah, FRS/GMRS are those little handhelds you see everywhere for $50/pair at Targét or Wally World. Thing is, you can only use the low-power FRS channels unless you have the ~$70 GMRS license. Either way, these are the cheapest options.

I do not know if there is any official emergency monitoring of FRS or GMRS.

If you're looking for something that is monitored by someone most of the time, Amateur radio is your best bet. There are repeaters everywhere, some/most with backup power, that allow your small handheld radio to cover expansive areas. Some repeater clubs even have phone patches that allow you to get into the PSTN, and others even have data gateways and other neat stuff. The only killer is that the equipment for Amateur can be a little pricey. You can't get a decent handheld amateur radio at walmart for $20.

There are also Amateur Radio emergency organizations like ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service), RACES (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service), MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service), and so on... these are coordinated groups that conduct periodic emergency communication exercises.

It can be a fun hobby if you have some time to devote to it.

(Montgomery County)

I use a CB for longer distance travel.

It has saved me (ticket wise) more so than my Radar detectors.

I have enen used it in an emergency situation where a cell phone was not working... flagged down a passing trucker / motorist and got assistance needed.

It does work well enough...if people are near enough to listen and want to help