Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Noveske Leonidas

First let me say thanks to my C7/SOT friend who provided the lower for this assembly. My F1 isn't back yet, but I wanted to make sure that the equipment worked, so he came by with one of his Title II guns and we reassembled it with my parts.

Anyway, when I decided to build a SBR AR10 I didn't realize that the F1 would be the easy part. Finding short AR10 uppers is a bit of a magic act, and folks that sell them are out of stock or just tell me "they can build it" with few details or just want to cut down a longer skinny carbine barrel and play with the gas port until they can make it work. Neither of these options really appealed to me.

I came across an NFA dealer advertising a complete Noveske Leonidas 12.5". Only problem was that it was a post-sample machine gun. The dealer was willing to part it out, selling it to me as a complete kit, minus the stripped receiver, for a reasonable price. I had some concerns about the finish (appearance and durability) but the dealer assured me that it was high-end paint over a baked-on Duracoat finish, and after a lot of mental tennis I decided that I could have my receiver blended to match the finish on the Leonidas. The price was attractive (about the same cost as a Leonidas upper new, plus it had ~ $1000 worth of accessories (as pictured, plus Geissele trigger and seven 25/20 round current generation magazines)) as was the dealers assurance that it had only seen 200 rounds.

The parts were received and were in excellent internal shape; the trigger group has almost no wear, bore, chamber, interior of upper, etc., showed minimal if any use. But the finish looked far better in the pictures I was sent than it did in person. Aside from showing wear on edges, it's soft. There are places where a fingernail can mar it. I have a bunch of guns with Duracoat refinishing; this one just doesn't live up to the standard. And it's really pretty ugly (which I could probably deal with if it was in better shape). I'm not unhappy with the deal, but the gun is going to need a complete refinish, not just getting the receiver blended to match the existing finish.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Noveske Leonidas

Excellent! Very nice, I agree about bringing it back to black! Looks like a very nice rifle with some nice kit. Congrats...

(Allegheny County)

Very nice. Glad to see that you finally got it. I agree that it would look much better black. I'm sure that's not going to be that easy but it should be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Perry County)

I'm gonna break the mold and say it would look better white.

<3 Arctic Camo

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Banana View Post
    I'm gonna break the mold and say it would look better white.

<3 Arctic Camo
    I've tried white guns in the past; they tend to look like crap much faster than darker colors.

(Northampton County)

Very cool. I think you should go with black.

As for the artic camo motif, I thought about doing it as a second stock for a bolt gun. Not all white but a black stock with a white topcoat. So when scratches and such happen it looks a bit more like this:

Very badass

A gun like that deserves nothing short of a black-t refinish by birdsong, he will do mags too.

http://www.snipercentral.com/birdsong.htm

(Allegheny County)

fricken sweet