Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Help me pick a new pistol

Okay folks. I'm thinking about buying a new pistol. It must be thin - as in single stack, small in size, 9mm and striker fired. Basically, i want a glock / xd in single stack. I hate the long pull of the trigger on the Kahars.

A fellow board member let me try his Walthers PPS. I really liked the feel and size of it. However, 2 things stuck out to me - 1, didn't much care for the mag release (at the trigger guard), 2, didn't much like that if the back strap were removed it would not fire. That really concerns me because if the gun fell, dropped, i could see the back strap poping off.

So, what else is out there? I'm a glock / xd fan boy and would be very happy to find something like that but single stack and holds 6-7 rounds of 9mm.

Thanks for any input.

(York County)

Default Re: Help me pick a new pistol

The one that pops into my mind right off the back is the ruger sr9. I don't know much about it but it may be worth taking a look at ? Not a fan of 1911's ? Sig has some too I believe. Oh yeh and I think taurus has some new single stack out , I believ it's called "slim".

(Franklin County)

Hows about a Kel-tec? I know it's no a Glock or Xd but it fits your requirements.

(Philadelphia County)

Glock 36, it's slim, a Glock and holds 6 rounds. Yes, 6 rounds of .45 rather than 9mm, but that's kind of a plus in my book, just sayin is all.
    Otherwise I'd say you're looking for a Glock 26 or an XD subcompact. Personally I'd go for the XD partially because personally I don't like Glock triggers, but it also holds 13 rounds std and comes with an extended 16 round mag as well, as opposed to the Glocks 10. However the Glock has about 1/2" less height. Can't comment on any difference in width as Springfield doesn't list one.
    I have held but not shot my friends 26 and it's not too bad. I generally tend to stay away from compacts and especially subcompacts (I can CC my USP with 16rd magazine by untucking my tshirt so why settle for anything less, know what I mean) but by the criteria you have stated they should be the two you would probably want to start looking into.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Glock 36, it's slim, a Glock and holds 6 rounds. Yes, 6 rounds of .45 rather than 9mm, but that's kind of a plus in my book, just sayin is all.
    Otherwise I'd say you're looking for a Glock 26 or an XD subcompact. Personally I'd go for the XD partially because personally I don't like Glock triggers, but it also holds 13 rounds std and comes with an extended 16 round mag as well, as opposed to the Glocks 10. However the Glock has about 1/2" less height. Can't comment on any difference in width as Springfield doesn't list one.
    I have held but not shot my friends 26 and it's not too bad. I generally tend to stay away from compacts and especially subcompacts (I can CC my USP with 16rd magazine by untucking my tshirt so why settle for anything less, know what I mean) but by the criteria you have stated they should be the two you would probably want to start looking into.
    Thanks for nothin .

The g36 is single stack but it is .45 like you stated - i'm wanting 9mm.

Both the g26 and xd sub are double stack.

I am looking for single stack 9mm's that are like the walthers pps or kahr size. I just do not know what else is currently available to consider.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Thanks for nothin .

The g36 is single stack but it is .45 like you stated - i'm wanting 9mm.

Both the g26 and xd sub are double stack.

I am looking for single stack 9mm's that are like the walthers pps or kahr size. I just do not know what else is currently available to consider.
    Ah damn, you're right. I overlooked that bit, sorry about that. Guess I'll have to stick by my recommendation for the 36 which at least fires a Man's round. :P
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    The one that pops into my mind right off the back is the ruger sr9. I don't know much about it but it may be worth taking a look at ? Not a fan of 1911's ? Sig has some too I believe. Oh yeh and I think taurus has some new single stack out , I believ it's called "slim".
    Thanks, just looked over the ruger but that grip is longer than i'm looking for. It holds 10 rounds and i only want 6-7 max to limit grip length.

Nah, not a big 1911 fan.

I'll check on the sigs - but they are usually to expensive and i thought they were double action not striker.

I can't really bring myself to buy a taurus but i'll check them out too.

Thanks

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Hows about a Kel-tec? I know it's no a Glock or Xd but it fits your requirements.
    Thanks, looking at that now.

I'm not a fan of Smith & Wesson Auto's but I think a model #908 in 9mm. may be what your looking for, that is if you are in the market for a smaller arm with a single stack mag. My Fav are the Sig's and the XD's. Good luck with your hunt that's half the fun.

(Monroe County)

3 things that no one should ever help you pick are:

1. a wedgie
    2.your nose
    3.a gun

i would read all the reviews you can on your potential purchases and hold each one in your hand at a shop. see which one feels better and has the overall best rating as far as what youre looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast