Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Selling guns/appraisal HELP

Hi,
    My father-in-law passed away. No one has been in the house for 20 years (he "left" the family) I came across about 10 hand guns. Only one (38 special) has paper work
    The rest are old guns/military guns.
    1942 M-8 pyrotechnic
    Gebr mauser oberndorf revolver
    Liberty revolver
    young america double action
    and others
    My Question is: How can I sell them (can I), who would be the best person/business (trusting) to take them to.
    Thanks
    Jon

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Selling guns/appraisal HELP

Since they are handguns they would need to go through an FFL (Gun Dealer)to be transfered. I would start with a reputable Gun Dealer in your area,bring along a knowledgeable gun friend if possible. The dealer may offer to purchase the firearms from you and/or give you an idea of what they are worth.

(Philadelphia County)

Check on websites such as Gun Brokers, or Guns of America (google them), they are sort of EBay for guns.

See what they are fetching over there so you have an idea before you talk to a gun shop.

Also, look into local gun shows as well.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonland View Post
    My Question is: How can I sell them (can I)?
    You certainly can. But do you really want to? How about keeping the nicer ones and pass them down the family as heirlooms? Or keeping them to yourself?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lawsonland View Post
    My Question is: How can I sell them (can I),
    Thanks
    Jon
    Jon,

Since they are handguns you will need to go through an FFL. Or rather the "executor of the will" will have to. That is the person who is to sell them if they are sold. That person can transfer them to you through an FFL and then you could sell or keep them. But they must first be transferred from the estate by the "executor of the will" through an FFL.

There are only a few instances in PA where this does not apply like a personal transfer (within a family): Husband/Wife, Parent/Child, Grandparent/Grandchild.

However, since he passed with them in his ownership, before he could hand them down to another family member through a personal transfer.....I reocmmend that the executor transfer them to (whomever) through an FFL to be on the safe side. That way if there is ever any question you will not be trying to come up with stories like "He gave me that a day before he passed", or "He gave to my wife for Christmas last year and she gave it to me for Easter this year".

Just my $.02
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III