Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default M1 Garand Purchase thoughts!!

Is this a good time to purchase a garand or should I hold out until this Obamanation settles down a little. Do you think they are going up in price in the future?

Default Re: M1 Garand Purchase thoughts!!

You should purchase from the CMP stores, they are much much less than most retail gun stores, and chances are you won't see a price increase just a lack of rifles. http://www.thecmp.org/.

But yes, I would say its a good time

(Centre County)

There is NEVER a bad time to buy a Garand. If you qualify to buy one from CMP they don't raise the price just because and the price will not go down either. Go to www.odcmp.com and you can get all the info about buying from them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Get the Garand now. Thanks to the CMP, they aren't going to get over inflated in price like everything else right now (seriously lol at the guy selling a WASR for 725 in our for sale forums right now).

I am not going to lie, I have capitalized a bit on the obamalypse scare (PS, he isn't going to touch gun control for a long while as he has a LOT of important shit on his plate right now), but there is "capitalizing" and there is "unlubricated bowling pin rape"

Here, maybe this will make your purchase easier:

Just picked up this post-ww2 HRA garand with SA internals and a "brand new" VAR barrel. The thing is amazing and with the addition of a variable gas plug, I can shoot whatever I want without of it.

I didn't get it from the CMP, I got it from a great friend who has found me some amazing guns for amazing prices over the past few months.

(Allegheny County)

You asked for opinions;

EDIT: If you are inclined towards Evil Black Rifles and do not feel that you have what you may want yet, then spend your money on that which is probably not going to be here with us much longer.

The 8-round-limited en-bloc Garands will pretty much be around forever and a day, 'cause they're not "assault rifles".

But the "EBRs" - import-based especially - may not be around much longer at some point in the future.

(You can argue future bans either way; Obiden is too preoccupied for the forseeable future, true.
    But...
    His minnions are not; in the space of 10mins yesterday, the Communist NewsNetwork's Headline News crew tossed out 3 stories of gun-deaths caused by - tada: assault rifles.
    You be the judge of how many of those stories we hear before the Biden-led Schumers and Feinswines come after us - they have 4 years to work with against us.)

And we've all witnessed what has happened in the world of domestics; ARs that were $500.00-800.00 are now $800.00-$1500.00 with no hope in sight of returning to earth anytime soon. (If I'm wrong, please tell me where I can buy a NIB S&W MP15 for the $800.00 I passed on in mid-October at Cabelas?)

Ultimately it's your money and the Garand is a fine choice, and I love mine, but between two rifles - now, at this time in history especially - I'd be looking for a foreign-based EBR 1st, domestic EBR second - that is if I were inclined to owning an EBR.
    JMHO
    Last edited by nfafan; January 26th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

+1 on buying now from CMP.

Another important consideration is that they are not making any more so the supply is finite. Some time ago even CMP was sold out but they got their hands on some more. At some point you will be forced to buy from private supply at a very inflated price. Buying a piece of history from CMP is still one of the best deals around. Bang for buck their Service Grade is the way to go but I have also been lucky with the Rack Grade I picked up a few years ago.
    Last edited by phillyd2; January 26th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    +1 on buying now from CMP.

Another important consideration is that they are not making any more so the supply is finite. Some time ago even CMP was sold out but they got their hands on some more. At some point you will be forced to buy from private supply at a very inflated price. Buying a piece of history from CMP is still one of the best deals around. Bang for buck their Service Grade is the way to go but I have also been lucky with the Rack Grade I picked up a few years ago.
    what he said +1000.

when they are gone from cmp, then you will see the prices increase in private sales like there is no tomorrow. (especially if another popular WWII movie comes out)
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Somerset County)

Another vote for the CMP route. The added bonus is the greek 30 06 is the best price around also.
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell