Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Very Stupid Question

I know this is a stupid question and plz bear with me. I am new to gun ownership. I was just wondering if it was legal to own a automatic rifle in PA and ,if so, are there any websites that can tell me what I need to do to get one? Do I need some kind of permit? Are there any dealers who sell AR-15s? Thanks in advance for any information.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Very Stupid Question

Yes you may own one with a proper certification signed by a chief LEO with a tax paid to the state.

And the gun (Brown's Armory in Rochester PA has a few of what you are asking) will cost you $10,000 to $15,000.

(Jefferson County)

You can legally own one in PA. There are no "permits", but rather a $200 tax stamp paid for transfer of a pre-1986 registered machinegun. Post-1986 are not transferable and are LEO/military only.

Folks at this site can help you go through the red tape. Just look at the sticky posts for the basics of what is needed.

Be prepared to spend alot of money. The cheapest machineguns are about $3500 for a Cobray MAC. Rifles like AK-47's and M16's are about $12000 to $18000.

(Beaver County)

OK, as a new to gun ownership....

Why not by a normal (semi-automatic sport rifle) AR-15 clone like what many here have.

You can get into these for about $850-$1500 brand new and there is no legal hoops to jump through. Maybe you are not aware of these?

The following picture is an example of legal owned riffles that are semi-automatic. They are military "Looking", but yet are innocent sport rifles that fire one bullet per pull of the trigger.

You may wish to inquire more towards this for monetary reasons. If you can afford a $12,000 rifle... GOD BLESS YOU! I know I can't!

[IMG][/IMG]

(Lebanon County)

My guess is that since she is new to guns she's also new to the proper terminology. Since the media and general public has such a penchant for calling semi-automatic guns "automatic weapons" and "assault weapons" she probably honestly wants information on semi auto, which is as legal as a single shot rifle or shotgun as long as you're not a prohibited person.

ETA: There's no such thing as a stupid question if it's an honest question. You've come to the right place for information and answers.

Welcome to PAFOA.
    Last edited by mauser; February 10th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, it is perfectly legal to own Machine Guns and other NFA weapons in PA.

There are sticky's at the top of the page in this forum that explain the NFA weapon ownership requirements in detail..
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...a-jaybell.html
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Beaver County)

That is why I showed pictures of, and properly described a few of my toys as "Semi-Automatic Sport Rifles", and not the massively incorrectly used term "assault weapon".

Mam, the black guns you see in my picture and the one with the wooden grip and stock... those are NOT ASSAULT WEAPONS. They are not full-auto.

Those are sport rifles...AKA (by my wife) as "Big Boy Toys"...

They are allowed to be owned by any citezen for sporting reasons such as competition target shooting or casual target shooting, and in some states for hunting game.

They have the look and feel of the weapons that our beloved military personel may use, but they are not the same.

Think of them as building a kit car 1968 Shelby Cobra 429SCJ... on a Mustang 5.0L chassis. You got the look and feel, but it is not a real Cobra.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGunOwner View Post
    I know this is a stupid question and plz bear with me. I am new to gun ownership. I was just wondering if it was legal to own a automatic rifle in PA and ,if so, are there any websites that can tell me what I need to do to get one? Do I need some kind of permit? Are there any dealers who sell AR-15s? Thanks in advance for any information.

Nope, not stupid. You sound as though you are looking for a "Semi-Automatic" Rifle, that shoots one cartridge for each squeeze of the trigger.

An "Automatic" rifle is usually consider to be "Full Auto" or a Machine gun.

Machine guns are defined as any gun that shoots more than one shot per trigger pull.

You do not need any special license or permit to buy a semi auto rifle in PA from a dealer or an individual in PA.

You can find AR-15's (a term normally used for a semi auto rifle..even though back in the early 1960's there were machine guns called AR-15's..) for sale at just about any stocking Dealer in your area.

Call before you go, they might be sold out.

Good luck, and have fun.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

(Chester County)

Just thought I'd pop in here real fast. I was looking through all my PM's and my first one was to danp inquiring about how one obtains a machine gun. That was two years or so ago. Learn a lot quickly by hanging around here. It looks as though the people above answered your questions, stick around and you'll learn more. Welcome to the forum.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyGunOwner View Post
    In my opinion you CAN'T ask a stupid question with regards to firearms and I think you in a great place to ask it also as there are lots of experts here who can educate you. I do hope you understand the difference between a semi and fully auto however
    I don't know of any websites unfortunately that advertize fully automatics.

- Marine0341

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast